Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail program is CONSTANTLY writing changes to disk, and it bogs EVERYTHING down...

...everytime I open it, it starts redoing this (whatever it is) and it slows things down to a crawl. The other strange issue is when I send an email, esp with an attachment, it stays as a draft, even though it has been sent. Have the latest updates, and have been searching this forum regularly.

Hope they fix this, but in the meantime, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Cameron

iMac Quad Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 12 gigs ram, 2 tb / 3tb hdds

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 8:02 AM

13 replies

Dec 13, 2013 10:20 AM in response to Cambo III

Mavricks Mail is Writing Changes to Disk for gmail every reboot, still!

There was an update that was supposed to fix this. It hasn't. Is there some resinstall/delete prefs/stop-start I can do to get this to stop?

This needs to be fixed. I'm leaving for overseas trip and can't be sucking up bandwidth re-downloading 30,000 messages every day. Maybe I should have gmail forward to icloud, then just read icloud? WTH?

Jan 7, 2014 3:58 AM in response to gsspike

Easiest fix I found was to switch to Thunderbird - which was problematic under Lion but whooshes along under Mavericks. Mail would sit there for hours transferring mail and eating memory until Mavericks paused it and invited me to kill it. Thunderbird completed all mailbox updates on two accounts in minutes.

Mail program is CONSTANTLY writing changes to disk, and it bogs EVERYTHING down...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.