I'm having the same problem with my new MacBook Pro 15" running Mavericks. Neither Safari, nor Firefox, nor Chrome works propery. Sites load slowly and are sometimes unresponsive. Tried changing settings with regards to extensions and plug-ins. Tried deleting cache files. Tried uninstalling flash. Nothing helps.
Sitting here on my Snow Leopard Macbook Pro running Safari and having no problems at all...
This issue is real!
I'm having exactly the same issue - just got a new MBP running Mavericks. Safari is starting to be unusable at home. Weirdly its okay at work - which has a super-fast connection - so maybe that has something to do with it.
I've tried taking out all of the extensions, unticking loads of stuff in the preferences, and nothing has worked.
At home, it seems to work okay 2 or 3 new pages, then after that it just gets stuck and I have to restart the browser.
So I've been watching this (and other) support blogs. I've had this same issue for a while. I've tried several "fixes"...some suggested by this blog, others from apple support directly. The nuclear option was a reload of OS X, which I have now down, to no avail. The odd thing here is...if i reboot into Recovery mode, and use Safari there...pages are loading very very fast (I have a Gigabit WIFI adapter, and a very fast internet connection). I do not know what the bottleneck is, but when I use Safari within OS X, pages take forever to load, and sometimes just freeze. I really wish Apple would resolve this. It's very frustrating.
I don't know if mine is solved permanently, but it has been working all morning now, after barely working at all.
I contacted Apple support, and got a response this morning. I did what the email suggested, and just that process seems to have been enough to fix it.
The only thing I can think of that might have fixed it, is that when I first ran the 'Wireless Diagnostics', I had to enter my computer password, and it asked me if I would allow it to access it all the time - or something - something about a keychain. That's the only change I made to my system I can think of.
My email from Apple said at the bottom that I shouldn't post it in any forums - including this one - but basically all I did was - Option click on the WiFi symbol in the top bar, then Open Wireless Diagnostics and just follow what it asked. I haven't sent the logs to them yet as their haven't been any problems since then.
I had the exact same problem. Tested all of the above and nothing worked. What solved the issue for me was to change to Google public DNS. I dont really have a clue of what it means, I just followed the instructions on this page: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
Now its all smooth. Finally.
Do we all have in common the JavaForOSX2013 installed?
My Safari was working just fine, but lask week installed the following and now Safari is really slow:
App Store is just as slow as Safari.
Also tried almost every solution on this post but nothing solves the problem:
- Stop plug-ins to save power
- Remove all cookies and website data
- Extensions are off
my Java Version is 7 / 45 and my system is telling me that 51 is available. Will not up update after your warning.
A few days ago I have fixed my slow Safari with deleting my Safari cache following Carolyns advise.
Please try that ven it looks like there are several possibilties for a slow Safari.
Following on the Java hypothesis, I re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 web plug-in and Web Start functionality:
Didn't solve the problem.
Also tested Safari with a different user on same Mac and problem persist, so this may be a system wide OS X Mavericks problem.
By the way, App Store and iTunes Store are completely stuck while loading content, pointing towards a system wide problem.
Meanwhile Chrome works perfect!
similar characteristic to yours. chrome based browsers work, safari keeps loading web page forever.
i think that it have something to do with akamai services (they are used by facebook and other companies to spread the load on webpages to different servers). i have same problems with pages served by akamai which need few reloads to show properly. as far as i know apple is using their services too.
by loading facebook different browsers and looking into development console i get this:
- chrome: no problem, logs seems ok
- safari: no log at all, stops loading before any log can be seen
- firefox: stucked when accesing data from akamai. sometimes, after few seconds it loads the data, subsequent reloads work, because the data is caches localy
btw. tested everything previously mentioned and also lot of stuff not mentioned. i was already using google dns, but in the process i've tested different dns providers without any success.