Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a USB device San Disk Cruzer 16GB and when I connect it to my Mac Mini (2013 model) it isn`t shown. What can I do?

I have a USB Device San Disk Cruzer 16GB and when I connect to my Mac Mini (bought recently) it isn´t shown on my Mac. The Mini has four USB 3 ports and the device I do believe isn´t USB 3 but USB 2. Still I think it should work but it simply doesn´t. What do I have to do?

thanks for any help

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 8:54 AM

How is it formatted?

Does it show on another computer?

Does it show in Disk Utility?

Does it show in System Report for the Mac under USB?

11 replies

Nov 13, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Michael Black

I use two other ports and they work with my mouse for example. I thought maybe there is something wrong with the other ports so I stuck the USB stick into one of the ports which worked and the USB still doesn´t work or show up in System Report. I do know that it works so because just last week I used it on a Laptop. I need to check up on some info I have stored on that device.

Nov 13, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Gerhard1959

You should never need any 3rd party driver in OS X. I have a whole bundle of USB sticks (companies give them out at meetings all the time) as well as ones I've bought myself in up to 32GB capacity and all of them work just fine in OS X (and windows for that matter).

So I still have no idea why yours is acting the way it is, but it is not a driver issue.

Nov 13, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Gerhard1959

If you are trying to connect through a hub, try connecting directly to a port on the Mac. If that doesn't work try another port on the Mac. FWIW I spent an hour or so last week trying to get a SanDisk to connect through a USB 3 port. Finally I tried a USB 2 port on a hub and voila it worked perfectly. Several other memory sticks from different vendors work perfectly through the same USB 3 and USB 2 ports.

Nov 13, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Gerhard1959

WHAT format is the Flash Drive?
I have Sandisk Cruzers (8Gb, 16Gb, 32Gb and 64Gb) and if I format ANY of them as NTFS, my Mini won't recognize them. Whenever I have to use a flash drive between my PCs and my Mac, I have to use FAT formatting.

Sandisk gave me a file (they make available when you insist on it) a few years back that helps a lot with flash drive formatting. It's a standalone that you can put in your Program Files(x86) folder and run from there. It "deep formats" USB drives, in either NTFS or FAT32. HPUSBFW.zip

Use that to reformat the flash drive in FAT, and then try it with the Mini.

I have a USB device San Disk Cruzer 16GB and when I connect it to my Mac Mini (2013 model) it isn`t shown. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.