Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Haswell MacBook Pro, Boot Camp and Cinema Display

Hello,

* I just upgraded from a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro to the new Haswell Retina MacBook Pro.

* On both machines, I have Boot Camp with Windows 7 64 Bit

* I have a 2008 Apple Cinema Display connected - previously to the old MBP and now to the Retina.

* On the new Haswell MBP, if I try to boot Windows with the USB hub attached, it will not get past the gray boot screen. It gets stuck in a cycle of restarting itself over and over.

* Removing the USB hub (the Cinema display has a USB cable which allows it to serve as a hub) allows Windows to boot.

* I have tried removing all devices on the hub, but this doesn't fix the problem - it demonstrates the same behavior.

This sounds like a firmware problem and not something with Windows or Boot Camp drivers, since it's happening on the initial gray screen. I'm curious if there are any plans to address this or a better work around rather than removing the

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Boot Camp, Windows 7 64 Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 8:51 AM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2013 1:52 PM in response to NeilSimpson

Same exact problem here with MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Boot Camp, Windows 7 64 Ent. With usb hub cable plugged in I am unable to get past the grey screen. If I select Mac OS from the boot options menu it will startup Mac OS fine with usb plugged in. So, this is only with dual boot problem and booting into Windows. Looks like it has been over a month since reported and still no fix?

Dec 27, 2013 3:29 AM in response to NeilSimpson

Windows 8.1 was working fine on my MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Nvidia Geforce 750M.

Then i connected my Cinema Display and from then on i only get a black screen on my laptop.

I always need to connect my Cinema Display.. Try to reinstalled Nvidia drivers, rebooting many times,.. But is stuck in this mode. It works fine in MacOSX.

Any suggestions? thanks.

Mar 15, 2014 3:12 PM in response to NeilSimpson

It's difficult to describe my frustration with Apple over issues like this. I just spent a lot of money and time setting up a MBPr 13 with a Thunderbolt Display and LED Cinema Display side by side in portrait mode.

The reason I set up this way is that dual Thunderbolt Displays won't work with Bootcamp. Now, discovering that I'm going to have to pull the USB cable from my laptop every time I want to boot, I am extremely disappointed. This is not a difficult fix. In fact, it's rather rudimentary to enable basice USB hub functionality at boot.

Apple is lucky that no on else makes aesthetically pleasing hardware yet. I work from home and have to use Windows for work, so there is no way that crippling Windows will win me over to OSX. I would be only too happy to walk away from Apple altogether when feeling slapped in the face with stuff like this. If Samsung's comparable monitor were VESA compliant and a Series 9 could support a dual monitor setup, I would swap this out in a heartbeat to avoid issues like this where Apple doesn't want to play nice with Microsoft.

Apple: please grow up and have enough self confidence that you can create a wonderful user experience outside of the little sandbox that is OSX. I can't use your OS, but I'm still willing to pay top dollar for your beautiful hardware because it's supposed to support Windows. Do you want my money or not? You've caused a customer willing to spend thousands to begin looking for alternatives. There are others like me. Please listen and don't take it as disrespect, but as an opportunity to improve and win us over.

End rant.

Haswell MacBook Pro, Boot Camp and Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.