Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15inch Lagging/Freezing

Hey guys,

I currently own a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15inch which lately has been having frequent lag spikes and it will at time freeze my machine at time a minute or more. I've noticed my machine was abnormally warm compared to my older MacBook (warm enough that after 2 hours of use the sweat from my palms stained the aluminium body) when I first purchased it, however, lately it seems to be warmer and at times overheat with the fans working at high RPMs at the most inappropriate at times (i.e Listening to music or browsing the internet with only one to two tabs open). I disregarded the warmth as the specs were considerably more powerful then my old machine and thus would generate more heat when I would use it.

I've noticed that after Chrome was a main offender to my high CPU usage and I also use graphics intensive apps such as League of Legends, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. However, even when not using this programs my MacBook will just freeze and lag. As I'm writing this I can feel the heat on the palm of my hands and when I bring my face a few cm from the keyboard I can feel quite abit of heat. I've looked at solutions to fix this problem such as an SMC Reset, Disk Repairs and so forth but the problems still persist.

Does anyone have any solutions or should I take it in to the Apple Store for a look at? Any help is much appreciated!

MacBook Specs:

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Also only 400GB has been used out of my 750GB Harddrive.

Message was edited by: Breaketh

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:34 AM

Reboot into SAFE BOOT mode log in and restart.

power off your Mac, hold down the Shift key, keep it down and power back on. Keep Shift down all the way to the desktop. This starts your Mac, more slowly, in Safe Boot, which automatically rebuilds the dynamic loader cache (among other things).

Possible corrupt cache and this rebuild of the dynamic loader cache will take noticably longer as the cache rebuilds on the first boot.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 9:34 AM in response to Breaketh

Reboot into SAFE BOOT mode log in and restart.

power off your Mac, hold down the Shift key, keep it down and power back on. Keep Shift down all the way to the desktop. This starts your Mac, more slowly, in Safe Boot, which automatically rebuilds the dynamic loader cache (among other things).

Possible corrupt cache and this rebuild of the dynamic loader cache will take noticably longer as the cache rebuilds on the first boot.

MacBook Pro 15inch Lagging/Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.