Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

has anyone used a Canon iP6600D printer on an iMac

I am having difficulty linking my Canon Pixma 6600D printer with my Imac. Canon don't seem to support the Imac with software but I am wondering if some other software will work.

I have downloaded Canon easy photo but printer still refuses to print even though it says it has sent the file to the printer.

Can anyone help or do I need to buy a new printer?

Sandy

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:31 AM

Sandy,

I would recommend starting by using Apple's

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4670

OS X is not like a Windows machine that requires you to download software from the printer developer. In most cases if the printer developer supports the printer all you need to to is add it. Directions for doing so are in the link above. If the printer is not supported (it may simply be too old) then yes it would be easiest to replace it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 9:31 AM in response to sandyhull

Sandy,

I would recommend starting by using Apple's

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4670

OS X is not like a Windows machine that requires you to download software from the printer developer. In most cases if the printer developer supports the printer all you need to to is add it. Directions for doing so are in the link above. If the printer is not supported (it may simply be too old) then yes it would be easiest to replace it.

Dec 19, 2013 1:15 PM in response to sandyhull

Try installing the Canon drivers from Apple here first: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL899

I have the same printer (iP6600D), and it worked great for me on 10.8 Mountain Lion. It stopped working with Mavericks though. It would appear Canon isn't supporting this printer anymore for Mavericks, the closest printer I found on their site with OS X info is the iP7600D and they say it is not compatible with Mavericks "yet". Which likely means never.

Update: After installing the Canon drivers above on Mavericks 10.9, I was able to add the iP6600D. I had to manually select a different driver (the iP6700D) printer driver from the list, but it seems to print emails and such decently. Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Brian Murphy 777

Apr 13, 2015 8:32 PM in response to ve7dvb

I was able to get my Canon iP6600D to work with my MacBook Pro running Yosemite. As Brian Murphy 777 suggested, I tried the iP6700 and it works for basic printing. (Haven't tried it yet for photos.) The set up is done in the MacBook's System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners window. I first deleted the existing Canon iP6600D with the USB cable unplugged. (Not sure if this is necessary.) Then I plugged in the USB cable. Click on the + in the Printers & Scanners window. You should see the powered up printer as Canon iP6600D. Select it. In the "Use" field, "Choose a driver..." is displayed. Select Canon PIXMA iP6700 - Gutenprint v5.2.3 from the drop-down list.

Good luck!

has anyone used a Canon iP6600D printer on an iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.