Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, have messed up my iTunes files while transfering from external hard drive.

I really need some help, have just recently got a new computer, transfered all music and itunes attatchments to my phillips hard drive from old computer (running on xp).

Then attatched the hard drive to the new computer and downloaded new version of itunes. worked perfectly with hard drive attatched.

Upgraded to windows 8.1 which for some reason changed the phillips hard drivefrom drive "E" to drive "G". To stop the fact that this might happen again and because i'm an idiot, in a moment of madness started moving files off the hard drive on to the computer so i could use hard drive for back up purposes, not storage and in doing so keep all files on the computer.

Whilst doing this managed to compleatly mess up the itunes routes and have since then probebly compounded the issue as tried to uninstall itunes (now says that files cannot be found) and cannot reinstall the item as it just tries to find the old files. Have tried deleting all the files off the computer but it still will not get rid if the bit to uninstall.........HELP!

iTUNES-OTHER, Windows 8, Philips external Hard Drive

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 2:12 PM

If any body was looking in to this, Thanks, if not, no need.....

After reading a LOT! of different problems with any sort of similarities, and taking bits from most of them.

To cut a long story short, made the hidden files visible, deleted any reference to iTunes (still left the icon on the uninstall screen though as I still couldn't get rid of it and it still wouldn't uninstall), then tried again to install a new version of iTunes but that still didn't work and was still trying to find drive "E".

Fortunately, while flicking in between screens I noticed that the "E" drive that my hard drive used to be named was now visible on the my PC page along side the newly named "G" drive, so what I did was change the "E" drive to "Z" drive, then changed the "G" drive to "E" drive and re-setup a route to the old iTunes files that I had a back up off on the hard drive, then tried uninstalling again and this time it worked. Have now reinstalled ITunes and it is working fine at the moment.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2013 2:12 PM in response to J.Brown778

If any body was looking in to this, Thanks, if not, no need.....

After reading a LOT! of different problems with any sort of similarities, and taking bits from most of them.

To cut a long story short, made the hidden files visible, deleted any reference to iTunes (still left the icon on the uninstall screen though as I still couldn't get rid of it and it still wouldn't uninstall), then tried again to install a new version of iTunes but that still didn't work and was still trying to find drive "E".

Fortunately, while flicking in between screens I noticed that the "E" drive that my hard drive used to be named was now visible on the my PC page along side the newly named "G" drive, so what I did was change the "E" drive to "Z" drive, then changed the "G" drive to "E" drive and re-setup a route to the old iTunes files that I had a back up off on the hard drive, then tried uninstalling again and this time it worked. Have now reinstalled ITunes and it is working fine at the moment.

Help, have messed up my iTunes files while transfering from external hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.