Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[SOLVED] Mavericks Server - Some users unable to authenticate via mail, etc

I was having problems with some users being unable to authenticate after upgrading to Mavericks.

Error logs were not helpful, simply logging a failed authentication attempt.

A quick visit to Workgroup Manager revealed the problem:

Open Workgroup Manager.

Select user experiencing authentication problems.

Click 'Advanced' tab.

Click 'Options' in User Password Type section. (Im using Open Directory)

Herein lies the problem:

In the section 'Password must:' section, these users had 'be changed at next login' selected.

Deselecting this solved my authentication problems.

I didn't set this and there was no indication on any device that the password had to be changed.

Could be a time-based password expiration (which I also didn't set) or perhaps an upgrade related issue.

I'm unsure as to why this happened, but the above process fixed it.

I've seen a number of similar issues around the net.

I'm posting this here in hopes that it may help others.

Good luck!

OS X Server

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 1:56 PM

2 replies

Nov 13, 2013 9:50 PM in response to NYCya

I have the same issue, 1 user is not able to authenticate for mail and other service. Cannot login as a network user either, the password is rejected.

Was interested in your tip, but in my case, Workgroup manager shows the same information for all the users, none have the "be changed at next login" checked.

Happy you figure your problem.

Dec 3, 2013 12:15 AM in response to NYCya

Hi NYCya,

I am currently having very similar issue on all network users, mail app keeps asking for password, are your clients running mavericks?

Here it is what my issue is, was your issue similar as mine?

Thanks in advance

I have a mac mini server with mavericks, i have 2 iMacs as clients running mavericks too, when i use iMac (A) mail app and icloud work fine, them i take iMac (B) and mail app start asking for password , it just won't take the password, icloud do not load and cannot use anything else on system prferences because it locks system preferences, i need to force quit system prefrences , so I return to iMac (A) and i get same behaivor as iMac (B), i would appreciate your help for finding a solution for this.

All network users get the same behaivor, local users do not get this behaivor.

[SOLVED] Mavericks Server - Some users unable to authenticate via mail, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.