Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't show most of the Faces in the Confirm Additional Faces dialogue

The latest (2013) version of iPhoto is doing strange things when tagging Faces.

I have several dozen people identified in Faces but with the new version (on Mavericks), when I go to the Faces screen the pictures for each person have been replaced with black squares.

When I double-click to add more Faces tags, then click on the Confirm Additional Faces dialogue, most of the pictures that are proposed for tagging are also shown as black squares. A few of the images will actually show the faces that iPhoto has identified, but most of them are black squares and therefore rather impossible to tag!

Hopefully Apple will pick up on this bug and fix it ASAP. Thanks!

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 1:52 PM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2013 7:08 AM in response to Dazza9999

Hi Dazza9999,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you're only seeing black squares in Faces after upgrading, I suggest using the Photo Library First Aid menu to repair or rebuild your iPhoto library.

Before troubleshooting, it is a very good idea to back up your iPhoto library.

Important:

You should back up your existing iPhoto Library before using the rebuild feature. A backup allows you to restore the iPhoto Library if anything unexpected happens during the rebuild that prevents the library from rebuilding correctly.

Before performing a rebuild, you should install any iPhoto updates by using Software Update. If a software update resolves your issue, then you don't need to rebuild.

See this article for the steps to back up your computer with Time Machine:

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Once your iPhoto library is backed up, follow these steps to use iPhoto Library First Aid:

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.

User uploaded file

Try each step in order, testing to see if the issue is resolved between each step.

See the full article for more details:

iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2638

Cheers,

Jeremy

iPhoto doesn't show most of the Faces in the Confirm Additional Faces dialogue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.