Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

still photos imported to imovie change to solid green

i'm using all the newest versions of iLife and Aperture (as of 11/13/13)... i use iMovie to make slideshows from my photography because i like the controls better than in Aperture or iPhoto... however, since upgrading to Mavericks and all of the new iWorks, iLife, Aperture on my Fall 2011 MBA, when i import still photos into iMovie to make a slideshow, they have a propensity to be rendered, at least in previews, as solid green images (think green screen)... i'm using jpeg images that have been exported to a separate file from my Aperture library, all using RGB color... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which ones render incorrectly and which do not... sometimes the thumbnail image appears as the solid green, most of the time, though, it will appear as a standard thumbnail image, but show up green on the preview screen. I have not tried actually exporting the project as a quicktime movie to see what happens. I have tried closing and reopening imove after import, but that seems to make no difference. if i delete the files and reimport, sometimes they will import correctly, but often they do not.

My iMovie files, as well as the exported jpg's are all located on my internal SSD. Is anyone else having this kind of thing happen?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 2:27 PM

54 replies

Nov 16, 2013 3:20 PM in response to jasonbterry

Just want to add that I seem to have the same problem. I scanned a number of pghotos today as jpegs and put them in an iPhoto album. Then opened iMovie 10.0 for the first time. Tried to import the photos from iPhoto. They show-up in the lower iMovie window as a strip of frames, but the viewing sceen at the upper right is totally green regardless of where I put the progress cursor in the strip of frames shown in the lower half of the iMovie window. No solution, just what is apparently the same problem.

Nov 16, 2013 3:37 PM in response to Symbiodin

Now here's something interesting. The photos that showed-up as a green screen had been processed in Photoshop after scanning them and then resaved as jpegs. If I drop the original unpprocessed scanned jpeg photo in iMovie, it works OK. Or, if I resave the processed scanned jpeg as a tiff, it works OK. So it appears to be something about the processed file that causes this green screen problem. Go figure?

Nov 21, 2013 9:19 AM in response to jasonbterry

I have been having the same problem with iMovie and the iPhoto library, where the imported pictures turn to solid green.

What I tried was to convert the photos to a video fileand import into iMovie - this is what I did:

- I opened up iPhoto and created a slideshow with the picture (or pictures) to be added to the iMovie project.

- Then I exported the slideshow to the desktop (or wherever you want) which creates a video file. I noticed it is mpeg-4 format, and I do not see anywhere to change this format.

- Back in iMovie, I imported the new video into the project either by Import Media or dragging it in, I guess either way works.

This seems to work for me so far, even though I'm still experimenting. But I am still disappointed in this, since it only happened since the upgrade to Mavericks and iMovie 10.

still photos imported to imovie change to solid green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.