Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD for Macbook. Goes grey and says re-start.

Hi, I've installed a new SSD drive in my Mac Book circa 2010. The apple logo appears, and the little timer/loading logo starts spining underneath. Then, after what seems to be a struggle, it just says you need to re-start your computer, which I do to no avail. I'm fairly confident I've done everything by the book. Is there anything I could try here, or is it likely that something just isn't working? I hope it's not broken!

At the moment there is a Snow Leopard install disc in the drive. I can't seem to do anything to get it out. I also have my original OS X start up disc to hand. I downloaded Lion from the App store, so don't have this to try.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

GW

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 3:11 PM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2013 1:09 PM in response to ZintainUSA

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately even holding C wouldn't get it to load the disk. It just repeatedly went dark grey and told me to restart. I hadn't even got to the stage of formatting the drive, let alone putting stuff on it. I found another thread which suggested that if the RAM had been upgraded I should put back the original to install the new hard drive. For some weird reason, this completely did the trick! Really odd, but hard drive is now formatted and mac up and running.

Thanks again. G

New SSD for Macbook. Goes grey and says re-start.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.