Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks clients unable to access ML Software Update Server

I have a Mac Mini Server which has not yet been upgraded to Mavericks. It will not be upgraded until some required third party software is supported (GlobalSAN iSCSI initiator).

A number of Macs on the network have already been upgraded to Mavericks. Since doing the upgrade these Macs have been unable to access the Software Update server on the Mac Mini Server.

Error message on client is: "Can't load data from the Software Update Server (servername)"

In the error log file on the server is: "File does not exist: /Library/SoftwareUpdates/html/index.sucatalog"

Is there a fix for this? I cannot upgrade the server to Mavericks yet and would rather not have to start changing the software update settings on each of the Mac clients that have been upgraded.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 3:29 PM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2013 8:34 AM in response to Grant64

I just found the file

/Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/content/catalogs/others/index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopa rd-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog does not exist.

The symlink /Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog that points to this non existant file will provide such an error.

I am trying to determine a solution at this time... At least I know where the problem resides.

Nov 25, 2013 8:40 AM in response to applebit924

To resolve the problem I just did the following:

1. Open Server.app

2. Turn off Software Update Service

3. Quit Server.app

4. Create a folder /Library/Server/Software update/Data/html-previous

5. Move all the contents from /Library/Server/Software update/Data/html into the html-previous folder

6. Restart your server

7. Open Server.app and turn on Software Update Service; configure as necessary.

Mavericks clients unable to access ML Software Update Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.