Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro Heat Issues when Gaming

I recently bought a high end 15" rMBP (2.3 GHz i7, GT 750M, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD), and was hoping that I'd be able to use it for some occasional gaming. I installed Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp, and noticed that the idle temps for Windows are around 65C (around 150 F). After some research, I found out that this is due to the lack of switchable graphics in Windows (which I wasn't thrilled about in the first place), so I decided that I would use Windows only for gaming.

I just got done playing (half of) a game of Battlefield 3 on low settings with a resolution of 1600x900. I manually set the fans to ~6000 rpm and also hooked up a cooling pad to the MBP. However, even with the low settings, my temperature monitor showed temps of over 90 C (194 F), with a high of 99 C (over 210 F). I stopped the game after a few minutes, as this surely can't be normal. People online have posted about being able to play the BF4 beta at 1080p/medium settings/70 FPS with temps of around 70 C. That seems a lot more reasonable to me.

Is this an issue with my unit? Should I try to contact Apple support, or what? If I can't even play BF3, I don't really need the GT 750M...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 4:18 PM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2013 4:31 PM in response to mhemmrich

I am not sure of the thermal limit for the haswell processors, but for Intel's previous generation processors installed in the rMBP lineup, the thermal limit was 100C (212F). Extended exposure to temperatures exceeding this could damage the CPU. What software are you using to manually control the fans? I wouldn't recommend manually controlling the fans. Let the internal heat sensors do their thing. Your rMBP will shutdown if the processor reaches dangerous temperatures for extended periods of time. I wouldn't say that this behavior is abnormal given the amount of heat your GPU generates when rendering graphics intensive games. Just make sure to keep the fan vent unobstructed at all times and a cooling pad never hurts.

Uninstall the software you are using to manually control the fans, reset the SMC, test and see if temperatures fall:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Support - Apple

Nov 13, 2013 5:32 PM in response to nbar

I am aware of the limit - I think it's around 100 - 105 C, which is why I ended the game prematurely.

I used Lubbos Fan Control because the fans wouldn't speed up past the default 2000 rpm (even at 80+ C temps).

I tried resetting the SMC before I installed the fan control software.
And yes, the GPU should generate quite a bit of heat - but over 100 C on low settings and 1600x900 resolution WITH a cooling pad? If other people are able to get 70 fps on 1800p/high settings in a more gaphically intense game, shouldn't this GPU have no issues with what I'm trying to do?

Either way, the fan control isn't my issue right now. I've seen posts online where people claim that the thermal paste on their rMBPs wasn't applied well, causing overheating issues, and I'm just wondering if I should try to maybe get a replacement for mine (or at least have them reapply thermal paste).

Nov 13, 2013 5:35 PM in response to mhemmrich

If the fan's aren't working properly and the temperature readings are that high consistently with a cooling pad, yes, I would definitely bring the machine in as it sounds like there is an issue with either the heat sensors or thermal paste. You will get a replacement machine within 14 days of purchase, and free repair of your machine within the 1 year warranty.

Jan 8, 2014 9:23 AM in response to mhemmrich

mhemmrich wrote:

I recently bought a high end 15" rMBP (2.3 GHz i7, GT 750M, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD), and was hoping that I'd be able to use it for some occasional gaming. I installed Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp, and noticed that the idle temps for Windows are around 65C (around 150 F).

HI,

were you able to install 8.1 on BootCamp ???

How does it works ??? How long is the battery life in BootCamp ??

Thanks

Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro Heat Issues when Gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.