Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use Mountain Lion Migration Assistant to access Mavericks disks?

Hi,

Maybe this is a stupid question... I have a MacBook Air from work with Mountain Lion on it, and I wanted to use Migration Assistant to import files and settings from my personal Mac (also a MacBook Air). However, my personal computer (the source one) is running Mavericks.

I've connected the two computers with a Thunderbolt cable and booted my personal computer (the source) into target disk mode. The work computer (destination) recognizes the disks on my personal computer but when I run Migration Assistant, it won't bring up my source computer's hard drive.

Is this normal? I can't find any reference to whether it's possible to use Migration Assistant to migrate from a newer OS to an older one.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 8:02 PM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2013 10:39 PM in response to joeyconnick

I don't think your Mac will let you transfer files from a different Mac with OS X Mavericks, because you can damage Mac OS X if you transfer apps and settings.

Instead, transfer your files with an external drive or connect both of them with a Thunderbolt cable (remember that it only works with Mid 2011 and newer MacBooks Air), and put the Mac with Mavericks in Target Disk mode (hold the T key while your MacBook Air is starting up), so you can access to your Mavericks Mac's hard drive from the other MacBook

use Mountain Lion Migration Assistant to access Mavericks disks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.