Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uploading files very slow need disconnect

Dear i have a OSX server 10.6 which use to do the afp file sharing at most,

and since 2 year before, it always being slow.

Browsing, upload or open files in the server, most of them are excel and PDF.

Recently it's slow like if you upload a 3.5mb files you need to wait for 2minutes to do that.

The only way to solve is disconnect and connect again, and even the workstation client need to relaunch their finders.

would anyone knew what is the problem should be?

Mac Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 6:07 AM

There are no answers in this reply. Just questions and suggestions. For better or for worse, performance-related issues can have many triggers, and usually require viewing and potentially actively collecting data from various soures, and can require digging around in the log files.

Are these AFP storage accesses local (as would be typical) or are these remote accesses across an ISP network link? Local access and local hardware is obviously far more under your control, where remote access can involve links that aren't/

In general, resolving this involves checking the local network for wiring errors and swap any cables that look questionable, checking for (for instance) links running more slowly than expected, and check the server for performance issues, and run hardware diagnostics on the server. In more details...

These days, the wired network should be gigabit gear all the way through, and if there's WiFi involved anywhere in these links remove that and run wires at least for performance testing — WiFi can be a performance disaster, as interference can arise from many sources including cordless phones and new WiFi networks set up by a neighbor.

Checking network links is somewhat easier with managed switches as you can access the switch via the management path and view its settings and what's been negotiated with the clients. The unmanaged switches usually have some sort of speed indicator for the connected ports. I'd expect to see gigabit Ethernet full-duplex connections with most any recent hardware.

View the Console.app logs for repeating errors and crashes and related; for any untoward behavior. I'd check the general (all messages) log, as well as the AFP-related file services log.

Confirm your local server DNS services with the following (harmless, diagnostic) Terminal.app (Applications > Utilities) command issued on the server:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This command will tell you about most of the common DNS or network configuration errors, or it'll tell you that no changes are required to the server network configuration.

Verify your disks aren't being operated at near capacity as near-full disks really slow things down.

Use the Activity Monitor tool (Applications > Utilities) to see if your systems are just busy with CPU or I/O.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2013 6:07 AM in response to weirdjun

There are no answers in this reply. Just questions and suggestions. For better or for worse, performance-related issues can have many triggers, and usually require viewing and potentially actively collecting data from various soures, and can require digging around in the log files.

Are these AFP storage accesses local (as would be typical) or are these remote accesses across an ISP network link? Local access and local hardware is obviously far more under your control, where remote access can involve links that aren't/

In general, resolving this involves checking the local network for wiring errors and swap any cables that look questionable, checking for (for instance) links running more slowly than expected, and check the server for performance issues, and run hardware diagnostics on the server. In more details...

These days, the wired network should be gigabit gear all the way through, and if there's WiFi involved anywhere in these links remove that and run wires at least for performance testing — WiFi can be a performance disaster, as interference can arise from many sources including cordless phones and new WiFi networks set up by a neighbor.

Checking network links is somewhat easier with managed switches as you can access the switch via the management path and view its settings and what's been negotiated with the clients. The unmanaged switches usually have some sort of speed indicator for the connected ports. I'd expect to see gigabit Ethernet full-duplex connections with most any recent hardware.

View the Console.app logs for repeating errors and crashes and related; for any untoward behavior. I'd check the general (all messages) log, as well as the AFP-related file services log.

Confirm your local server DNS services with the following (harmless, diagnostic) Terminal.app (Applications > Utilities) command issued on the server:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This command will tell you about most of the common DNS or network configuration errors, or it'll tell you that no changes are required to the server network configuration.

Verify your disks aren't being operated at near capacity as near-full disks really slow things down.

Use the Activity Monitor tool (Applications > Utilities) to see if your systems are just busy with CPU or I/O.

Nov 14, 2013 5:59 PM in response to MrHoffman

Dear Hoffman,

thanks for your reply, you gave a very good guildlines,

And i met a problem from first day of i touch console,

i never understand the log, and even i googled them, but seldom got luck.

Would you advise if i want to learn to solve the error message from log.

where should i start to learn with the console log for OSX desktop and OSX server?

Nov 15, 2013 7:59 AM in response to weirdjun

weirdjun wrote:

Would you advise if i want to learn to solve the error message from log.

where should i start to learn with the console log for OSX desktop and OSX server?

There's no place to do that other than in your own logs and in the queries posted on the 'net by others, AFAIK.

For quite some time, I've been learning about the logs by skimming through the logs of both working servers and of non-working servers (to see what's "normal" chatter looks like and for what can be ignored, and to see what's probably not nornal log chatter or that indicates a problem), and by using the various web search engines to research the various messages, as well as checking the OS X source code where the particular component is open source.

There's no single resource for learning the logs that I'm aware of, and it's an ongoing process as application and OS X patches and updates can add or can remove messages. Unfortunately, any published resource will also become quickly dated.

uploading files very slow need disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.