Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am running windows 7 x86, how do i upgrade to windows 8

hi,

i need some help.

i have a macbook pro MD101

i am currently running windows 7 x86, i was planning on upgrading to windows 8.

i downloaded bootcamp 5, but on installation, it said, cannot install as i am running x86 of windows 7.

i have this information

bootcamp 5 supports only windows 8 x64.

i cannot install boot camp 5 till i dont install winodws 7 x64.

so how do i upgrade?

please help!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 12:13 AM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2013 9:10 AM in response to pratikgoenka

bootcamp is 3 things

1. a bootloader which can startup osx or windows depending on what is set default or chosen if you hold down option at start up it's rarely changed at all

2. a program on osx to setup the partition of the harddisk making room from windows (this rarely change too)

3. apple verficed drivers for windows these can be downloaded as a zip from from apples site

I had windows 7 64bit runing in osx

I bought the digital update to win8pro and ran it from bootcamp win7 and did a few reboot and then I was running win8

since there was no official drivers from apple at the point it crashed at boot up at times

official apple drivers was released I downloaded the zip and updated the drivers and all was welll

then win8.1 came out I did the same thing and got the same result currently I have crashes at login at times but when it get in it's solid

when official 8.1 drivers will be released I will expect the crashes to stop like they did the last time

i am running windows 7 x86, how do i upgrade to windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.