Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows installer can't detect boot camp partition

Hello,

I recently bought my first iMac and I am trying to install Windows 8.1 using the Boot Camp Assistant. I have rebooted the Mac into the Windows installer program and made it to the screen titled "Where do you want to install Windows?" However, the Boot Camp partition I thought I created earlier is not showing on the list of available drives. I have tried hitting the Refresh button several times.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 12:10 AM

14 replies

Nov 14, 2013 8:40 PM in response to Luks1

I haven't really kept up lately but the only thing I see missing in your information is you didn't say if you had Formatted the Boot Camp partitiion to NTFS. The last I looked into Boot Camp that was one of the mandatory things you had to do in order for the installer to "see" the partition.

You end up formating it twice.

The original format when you make the Windows partition should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" it's done by the Mac (BootCamp) then when your booted from the Windows installer you then have to format it again with the NTFS format. And of course it has to be on an internal drive. And a full install disk not an upgrade disk. Boot Camp 5?

Take a gander at the instructions again and see if you might have missed a step?

Hope it helped, at least I bumped ya up.......🙂

Jan 29, 2014 12:31 PM in response to Number88

Yeah advanced options. After i click format it just deletes the BOOTCAM partition and doesn't let me click next.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1636/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_ 10.8.pdf

Look at that PDF and look at step 3 install windows on mac. I never see the first image i alwasy see the second and as you can see there, theres no driver options, when i click FORMAT it removes BOOTCAMp from the file name.

Windows installer can't detect boot camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.