Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect a Maverick imac and a snow leopard mac pro file sharing

I am trying to connect an imac running Maverick, and an older mac pro 1,1 running snow leopard. The mac pro does not have airport. I have tried connecting using my wireless router: mac pro ethernet conencted and wifi with imac, but I either cannot connect or it takes forever. I need a more reliable solution. I bought an airport card for the mac pro. I hurt my foot, and am laid up, and have to access the massive files on the mac pro and external drives with the imac. They are about 75 feet apart. The imac uses the wirteless router just fine, which is next to the mac pro. Which is the better solution, buying a long enough eitehrnet cable, and direct connect, or install the airport card and connect using airport? One more concern, I noticed my neighbor has a mac, and his mac keeps showing up on the network as a lockede but selectable mac. I am concerned about my security. Which is best, and what is the sequence to set it up? I can see that a step by step process with proper sequence and settings is critical to get tis to work. Thanks for any help.

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 4:36 AM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2013 4:58 AM in response to claydoctor

Connect the Mac Pro with a cable to the router, since it's right next to it.

Connect the iMac to your wireless network (make sure it's your network).

On both machines, go to system preferences - network - and click on the appropriate connection for each one. What IP address is each machine getting? Are their gateway addresses the same?

Can both machines access the internet in this configuration?

What kind of wireless router do you have (make and model) and what security do you have on it at the moment?

Matt

Nov 14, 2013 5:05 AM in response to claydoctor

How are you currently trying to connect? The easiest method for setting up across operating systems would be to connect using AFP, the standard protocol Macs use to share files over a network (though, SMB2 is now the default method in Mavericks). Are you attempting to simply transfer data from one machine to the other, or set up a local network between these machines? If it is the former, the easiest method may be to use an external HDD to copy data from one machine and then transfer it to the other.

See below for AFP:

Mac Basics: File Sharing - Support - Apple

And a youtube video:

Mac 10.6 OS X Tutorial - File Sharing -AFP FTP and SMBS - Video ...

One more concern, I noticed my neighbor has a mac, and his mac keeps showing up on the network as a lockede but selectable mac.

This is normal. You would need to explicitly grant your neighbor access to your machine for him to access anything on the machine, just as you need to do the same with your own computer you are attempting to connect.

Nov 14, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Matt Clifton

well, I think it is working now. Reset admin users, passwords for both the imac and mac pro. Reset all file sharing permissions in each mac preferences. assigned all file sharing permissions. Quite all, and tried accessing again, and wala. The goal is for me to be able to use the imac, as I am disabled temp, and access my older mac pro, and all its files. Basically, use them seemlessly as one. As I try this process, i will see what works that way and what does not. But at least for now I can use the imac to access the mac pro and I can see all the files and folders, not just the public folder for my user. So wush me luck, and I will. re post if i run i nto any walls or hurdles. If there is any quick help tips to be able to accomplish my ultimate goal here, any help is appreciated. Two macs, different ages, different configurations, working seemlessly as one. Now only if we could all work together so seemlessly through our differeences to achieve our commoin goals. Apple is amazaing.

How do I connect a Maverick imac and a snow leopard mac pro file sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.