10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 10:23 AM by walshb
William Hooper Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I am just trying to understand Photo Stream and Events and develop a strategy.

Over the course of a month of taking pictures on my iPhone and on a SLR camera, I will see pictures being uploaded and shared amongst my devices. When I launch iPhoto on my Mac, I assume I should not import the pictures as I will be duplicating the pictures on my Mac's HD.

What I am not clear is that I also seem to have an end of the month "Event" named "<Month>PhotoStream".  Will that duplicate all the photos taken during that month? Will there be pictures in Events during the month from PhotoStream and lumped again into the Monthly Photo Stream?

Are both being downloaded onto my Mac HD and safely stored there without risk of being deleted after 30 days or 1,000 pictures uploaded to iCloud?

Or do I have this all wrong as to how this works?

WWH

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (61,305 points)

If you have checked the iPhoto preference to automatically import photos from your PhotoStream (and the fact that you have the  "Event" named "<Month>PhotoStream" indicated that have checked this) then photos are being imported into iPhoto and are part of the iPhoto library seperate form your iCloud limited storage - those photos in the event are not connected to your PhotoStream are only controled by iPhoto -you shoujld not import additions copies of them or you will have duplicates in iPhoto

the photos stream in the soruce pane is a way to view photos and are not part of your iPhoto library unless you either maunally improt them or use the preference to automatically import them - the photos in any event are part of your iphoto library

LN

• William Hooper Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Second question

1. If I import pictures to my Mac HD and they are uploaded to Photo Stream, what happens to my Mac HD image if I delete or edit the pictures downloaded to another Mac iPhoto?  Will the image on the original Mac HD be deleted or edited?

2. If I import pictures to my Mac HD and they are uploaded to Photo Stream, what happens if I later delete or modify those images on that Mac HD and they look at the other Mac iPhoto Photo Stream?  Will the image uploaded and downloaded by deleted or modified on the receiving Mac?

WH

1 - as noted in my first answer there is no connection between PhotoStream and your iPhoto library except you can automatically import photos from PS to your library - adding a photo a a PS form your Mac does not connect that photos to anything - it simply shares if in the PS and any actions taken on the PS photo have no affect on your iPhoto library

2 - same - no connection between PS photos (or shared PS photos) and your iPhoto library - when you share a photo it is not modified by anything you do to yoru iPhoto library and nothoing that is done to the shared photos affects your iPhoto library

LN

• William Hooper Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Very helpful, LarryHN.

Thanks!

In PhotoStream, is there anyway of still accessing photo's taken >1,000? Are they stored in iCloud, or are they being dumped after 1,000 have been uploaded?

If I have not imported them into iPhoto are they gone if greater than 1,000 photos?

Again, thanks

W

they are gone from PS after 1000 or 30 days which ever comes first - they still exist on the source device but no longer exist on hotoStream  - PS is not a storage location - it is a way to share and move photos between devices

LN

• walshb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to have my library organised by event where each event is a separate day or date. Is there an easy way to move photographs from the monthly photostream event into such events. So for example I have 6 photographs in the Feb 2014 Photostream event all taken on 16th February. What's the easiest way to move them to a separate event called 16 Feb 2014 which already exists in my event library and contains one video file taken on my iPhone and which got transferred to iPhoto when I connected my phone to my MacBook to transfer the videos.

Thanks

Flag them in the "monthly" event and go to the event you wnat them in, select it  and use the Add flagged photos to selected event command

LN

Worked perfectly. Thanks. One other question. I read that videos taken on my phone should be synching to Photostream and this doesn't seem to be happening. Any suggestions why? Should videos taken on my iPhone be synching to the monthly Photostream event in iPhoto?

Thanks

Brian

No - MyPhotoStream does not do video

FAQs and trouble shooting tips - http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/photo-stream/

Which photo formats does My Photo Stream support?

My Photo Stream supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. My Photo Stream does not work with video.

Shared PS do i believe

LN

Thanks. I'll try it on a shared photostream.