Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 freezing while transfering music, and can't eject it, so I need to disconnect the cable, then iTunes works just fine and my iPod Shuffle is in restoring mode. I've been having this issue for weeks, and never had it before with iTunes 10.

iTunes 11 freezes and can't eject my iPod, so I need to disconnect the cable, then iTunes works just fine and my iPod Shuffle is in restoring mode. I've been having this issue for weeks, and never had it before with iTunes 10. Please tell me at least a way to eject it without losing all my data and being forced to format/restore the iPod. I've got 2GB iPod Shuffle 2nd generation(:D)

iPod shuffle

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 9:50 AM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2013 2:42 PM in response to SergiuRO

As a test, shut down (power off) your computer and disconnect all USB devices including hub (except for standard keyboard and mouse if normally used). If your computer is a laptop, connect its power adapter (so that it's not running on battery power). Do this to reset the shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Start up the computer, run iTunes, and connect the shuffle to a direct USB port on the computer. Does this problem recur when the shuffle is the only USB device?

If it does (as another test), select the shuffle in iTunes, so that its Settings screen is showing. Check the box for Enable disk use, and Apply. Does that make any difference regarding this problem?

Nov 15, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

It didn't solve anything, and I think the problem is iTunes, not the iPod, since it's new...(I've got it three months ago, but I never used it before). I really don't understand...I could move songs to iPods before with iTunes 10 before, it was slow, and it still is, but this one blocks everytime. Considering that it takes up to 20 minutes to transfer 50mbs(5 dubstep songs), after that it just freezes, if you click eject, nothing happens, if you try to eject it with "Reject hardware device safely" from the computer, nothing happens either, I let the pc on for 3 hours and it was still freezed. If you disconnect the cable, the music doesn't work and you're forced to restore the iPod.

Nov 15, 2013 11:18 AM in response to SergiuRO

not the iPod, since it's new...(I've got it three months ago, but I never used it before)

I thought you said it was a 2nd gen shuffle, in your original post. How can a 2nd gen shuffle be "new"? That model is at least about 5 or 6 years old at this point.

If it is only three months old, so it's a 4th gen shuffle, it is under warranty. If it's defective, you should contact Apple for repair or replacement. This is Apple's user discussion forum. To contact Apple directly, use the Contact Us link at the bottom right corner of this web page, or if there is an Apple Store nearby, make a reservation at the Genius Bar and take it there.

iTunes 11 freezing while transfering music, and can't eject it, so I need to disconnect the cable, then iTunes works just fine and my iPod Shuffle is in restoring mode. I've been having this issue for weeks, and never had it before with iTunes 10.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.