Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad 2 maximum wifi speed limit - is it only 39mbps? I have 100Mbps connection. What happens if I halve it to 50Mbps?

I found a number of similar threads about iPad WIFI speed. Unfortunately all those threads are very old so think I need to start a new one to get up to date answers.

Question 1:

My question is: What is the maximum wifi speed of the iPad 2?

Background:

I recently got a 100 Mbps Internet connection. I tested it on my ipad with various speed test tools like speedtest.net, ookla and others. The maximum reading I could get was 39.360 Mbps. To get there i turned off all competing devices, set the router to 802.11n and placed the iPad on top of the router. Can anyone tell me whether that's the limit for an iPad 2, or is my connection slower than the 100 Mbps I am paying for?

Question 2:

If I halve the Internet speed to 50mbps (saving money on the ISP fee) will my maximum iPad wifi speed still be 39Mbps or will it also reduce?

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:19 AM

13 replies

Nov 17, 2013 12:18 AM in response to Tricky57

Just to update you guys, my iPad 2 just managed to record a WIFI connection speed of 94.43 Mbps download (I am paying for 100 Mbps) and 8.84 Mbps upload ( I am paying for 10 Mbps).

Here are the parameters I used:

Program name: Ookla Speedtest

Wifi router: Netgear WNDR 4000. This is hard wired to my Router: Cisco EPC3925.

Wireless Network: 5 GHz (a/n)

Channel: 48

Mode: Up to 450Mbps

Security: WPA2-PSK (AES)

THE DISTANCE TO THE OOKLA server is just 31km

Ping is 19 ms

Mar 9, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Tricky57

I think I need to correct the answer above. I said "iPad 2". Technically I think it is what is known as an "iPad 4th Generation". If I am not mistaken, it's an "iPad 2 4th Generation".

According to Apple:

iPad (4th generation)

• The model number on the back cover is:
    • A1458 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi
    • A1459 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
    • A1460 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)
  • White or black front bezel
  • 9.7-inch Retina display
  • Lightning connector
  • The micro-SIM tray is on the right side on iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
  • FaceTime HD and iSight cameras

User uploaded file

iPad (4th generation) buttons and connectors

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2016 11:50 PM in response to Tricky57

So I guess that's the answer - it is a limitation of the iPad if it's only good for 5GHz , since my Dell and Asus laptops both go fast. My wireless router is new and I didn't think to get 5GHz because I understand the range is much lower. In fact I changed my router so I could get the signal at the opposite end of my apartment

I will just have to use my iPad for stuff that doesn't need fast internet.

Thanks for the information!

Aug 27, 2016 12:42 AM in response to The soup dragon

How fast as "fast" for you!

How many devices do you own that are on the web that are being used at the same time?

Geez, my wife and I just have a Comcast 30 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload connection with 2 computers, 4 iDevices and 2 streaming devices.

These devices and computers have 24 hour access, but we are never on more than 3 devices at once and our access online is pretty fast and PLENTY fast for streaming video either on our 55 inch LG flat screen and for streaming video on our iDevices.

You are getting between 39-43 Mbps download speeds, I don't see a problem.

Your iPad 2 can't multitask two apps at a time like an iPad Pro.

So, I am confused and at a loss to understand your frustration.

Your iPad 2 should be humming along just fine unless it is experiencing slowness issues unrelated to your Wifi speeds and is more of an iOS issue OR you live in a dense area of population where your ISP carrier has a lot of Internet traffic "waves" during the course of a day.

Aug 28, 2016 7:31 AM in response to MichelPM

We have about 12 devices connected (laptops, iPads, android tablet, game console, smart tv) but never more than 4 at once. Honestly I never noticed a lack of bandwidth as long as I was close to the router. 39Mbs was the maximum

Guess you are right - I am making too much of it! It's just that I bought a more powerful wifi router to get the signal throughout the apartment and I was annoyed to find that the iPad max didn't improve at all. I guess I won't upgrade to 200 Mbs - might even reduce to 50 And save some money. 🙂

incidentally i bought this "iPad 2" in 2013 but it has a lightning connector, so according to above information it is really an iPad 4?

Aug 28, 2016 12:05 PM in response to The soup dragon

If your iPad has a Lightning connector, then it is an iPad 4 and NOT an iPad 2 or 3.

Much better iPad than an iPad 2.

Has the faster speed Lightning connector, 1 GB of RAM 1.4 Ghz A6X CPU, plus Retina display.

Other than a cap on Wifi speed, your iPad 4 should be humming right along on the current iOS version.

So, it looks as if all the older model iPads,( Original iPad through the iPad Mini) may max their WiFi speed at 39-40 Mbps.

IPad 2 maximum wifi speed limit - is it only 39mbps? I have 100Mbps connection. What happens if I halve it to 50Mbps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.