Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost volume on some computer functions

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I have been searching and can't find the answer.

All of a sudden come computer functions that have sound like the Apple Mail swoosh

when sending email stopped coming out of my external audio system which is plugged into

my headphones output port.

But iTunes and movie audio comes through my external surround audio amp/speakers like

it's been doing for years. I haven't changed any settings in years so I'm clueless what happened

and what to do to restore what preference. I tried a number of things in my System Preferences >

Sound but nothing is working?

Anyone know what setting I need to change to get the output to come out of my Klipsch system

and not my internal speaker?

Thanks,

Steven

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012, 30 and 22 displays

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:19 AM

4 replies

Nov 15, 2013 2:04 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

Found it, for anyone that comes here looking for a tip.

Sound is separated in Sys Prefs into:

Sound Effects

Output

Input

Music and movies are handled under the Output tab. Sounds like Apple Mail send sound, is handled via Sound Effects tab, where there are two sliders which is great. Alert Vol, and Output Vol. so you don't get blown away from sound you don't need to be too loud.

My Alert volume somehow get switched to Internal Speakers, instead of Line Out. Changed back and now all is like it used to be.

It's not particularly obvious, because this set up doesn't let you know that Apple views Apple Mail sending sound as a sound effect, plus the sound you want for sending Apple Mail is set in Apple Mail Preferences > General.

User uploaded file

There you only get to set the sound you want for New Mail arrival and then check a checkbox for "Play sounds for other mail actions" but we aren't told what those actions are, and what sounds are associated with which actions, and last if you can change any of these. My guess is, we can't. Good thing I like them.

User uploaded file

Lost volume on some computer functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.