Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5 rear-facing camera and flashlight not working after iOs 7.0.3 update

This is my first time posting here so do forgive me if I leave anything out.

Problem 1

I updated my iPhone 5 to iOs 7.0.3 (on 10/22 when it released). Since then, my rear-facing camera has stopped working. When I open up the camera, it's just a black screen and I cannot take a picture or video, but the other elements on the screen are still functional: changing flash from auto/on/off, turning HDR on/off, switching from video/photo/square/pano, but still the screen remains black. When I switch to the front-facing camera though, it works fine. I can take pictures and video through that view.

Problem 2

The second problem that's happened as well is the flashlight in the control center is greyed out, can't click it at all.

Attempt to Fix

I brought my iPhone 5 to a Genius Bar. Guy took it to the back to open it up and check if there were any physical problems with the phone and camera. He came back, found nothing. Unfortunately my phone was no longer under the one-year warranty, so in order to fully replace the phone with a new or refurbished one, I would've had to dish out $200 something and I wasn't trying to do that just yet. So we decided to just wipe it clean and restore. After we did that, everything was working, the rear-facing camera, the flashlight, things were perfect. I left the Apple store, got on the train to head home. I opened up the camera to take a picture and long behold, it stopped working again. I got home and did the exact same thing the guy did, wiped my phone and restored. Everything was working again. I held my breath though... 1/2 hour later, same problems with the rear-facing camera and flashlight came back.

Just as a note, not sure if it helps, when I use third-party camera apps/photo editors, when I try to use the camera within those apps, it freezes and closes.

I don't know what else to do. It seems the only fix is restoring my phone and having the camera and flashlight work for a few minutes only to go back to the same problems. The Genius Bar didn't help. I'm not trying to give up $200 something when this is something that happened clearly because of the iOs 7.0.3 update. It was working perfectly fine before that.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:19 AM

1 reply

iPhone5 rear-facing camera and flashlight not working after iOs 7.0.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.