Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printers Disappear on Mavericks

I have twice now had all my printers disappear from my System Preferences, even though they show in the Printers folder in the User Libary (~/Library/Printers).

Both times, the printers were working fine after the upgrade to Mavericks, but when I shut down at night and came in the next day and rebooted, they were gone.

Both times, I have only found one solution to get them back again, so I am posting it here, but I am hoping someone can aswer why they are disappearing in the first place.

Solutions that DID NOT work:

Rebuilding preferences, any of several methods of doing so.

Running Disk Utility, any of several methods of doing so.

Simply copying a new copy of the printers into the folder from a backup.

Solution that DID work:

1. Open the Printers Folder in your home Library (~/Library/Printers)

2. Enter Time Machine

3. Go back to a date before the printers disappeared

4. Restore all the printers you find in the folder

5. When it asks you if you want to overwrite the existing printers, say Yes.

Viola! Go back to System Preferences and you will now see your printers back there again. You don't even have to reboot.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:46 AM

3 replies

Nov 21, 2016 12:23 AM in response to Claidheamdanns

Same here 😟

Up until now the only workaround is resetting the printer system and adding all printers again.

Tried copying the printers into the folder a few times, but that didn't work like you said.

This problem has been around for quite some time - I've found posts dating 2011! First started after upgrading to El Capitan, but persisting with Sierra now.

A solution would be very welcome!

Printers Disappear on Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.