Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 hyundai accent and iPhone 5s

I have a 2011 hyundai accent and recently used my iphone 4 with the iphone 4 cable (usb and aux) to listen to music and it worked perfectly. Now that i upgraded to the iphone 5s and bought the lightning adaptor i can no longer play music. when its plugged in they dont even connect. apple blames hyundai and says they need to manufacture a new cord. hyundai blames apple and says its a software glitch. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? Or is anyone else having this problem? Ive seen lots of people not be able to use the steering wheel controls but it still plays music; again mine does nothing.

thank you.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 11:19 AM

10 replies

Nov 15, 2013 10:43 AM in response to johnm92

I have a 2011 mini which came with a cable to connect to non-Lighting 30-pin iDevices. I am fairly new to the iPhone and only recently got an iPhone 5s. The first time I connected it (through an Apple 30-pin to Lightning dongle), the "iPod" functions lit up and it worked fine. But a short while later, and after buying an Apple 30-pin to Lightning .5m cable, it didn't reliablly connect. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I haven't found much rhyme or reason. I also tried my wife's iPhone 5 with pretty much the same results.

Probably not much help but you aren't alone.

Nov 16, 2013 9:48 AM in response to johnm92

I just got a new iPhone 5s and have a 2012 Sonata Hybrid. I haven't tested mine in the vehicle yet with the cable, because I have the full Nav system and can connect via Bluetooth. I would go out and test it, but my wife has the car and won't be home until late tonight. It is up to Hyundai to manufacture the cable, and they haven't done it yet. The connections for the lightning connector differ from the 30-pin, so I don't doubt it may not work correctly. I've been waiting for something from Hyundai, but don't expect much. The dealer said they haven't seen anything yet, but they are going to have to do something, since the new iPods and iPhones are all using lightning connectors. If I hear of anything, or test mine, I'll let you know.

Jan 2, 2014 6:39 PM in response to johnm92

I just bought a 2013 Elantra and was having problems getting my ipod and iphone5 with the IOS7 update to work properly using the radio controls to control the devices. The devices would play through Aux but I could not control them through the radio controls. I had to control the music through the device itself. I was connected using the Hyundai adapter and an Apple 30 pin to Lightning plug adapter. I stumbled upon a post about the Veloster having problems with the Hyundai adapter working and to use the original Apple charging/syncing cord instead. I tried using the original Apple cord and now I have clear sound and full function of the ipod 7th gen and iphone 5 through the radio controls. I know it won't solve the bluetooth problems but it is wirth a try if you are connected using the Hyundai cord and the 30 pin Lightning adapter.

Mar 10, 2014 9:50 AM in response to johnm92

I have a 2011 Hyundai Veracruz and recently got the iphone 5s, and I'm running into the same problem. I bought the Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter (which meant I had to get a mophie case so that I could take the bottom off of it to plug it in because it doens't work with other cases. But that's another complaint for another day). Anyway, it had been working perfectly fine-- it would play through the speakers, I could control it from my steeringwheel, it was charging-- until this morning. No idea what changed. But now when I plug it in, the radio doesn't immediately come on with the ipod detected thing, and when I turn it on manually and go to AUX, it just says "connected" rather than "ipod." It still plays and charges, but I can no longer use the steeringwheel controls. No idea why. My car doesn't have blue tooth. I'm really frustrated. Both with Hyundai and with Apple. Hyundai should have put out a new cord for the lightning devices by now. The 5 has been out for a long time already! And I think the lightning to 30 pin adapter is shoddy technology and poor design on Apple's part. Really, an adaptor that doesn't work when a phone is in its case??? That's crap.

Mar 10, 2014 10:59 AM in response to jenniferps

I had the same problem with my 2013 elantra. I started using the factory Apple USB to Lightning cord that came with my Iphone and now it works just fine. Iphone 5 with lightning cord does not need the aux 3.5mm plug to word on these radios. This also works the same on my wife's 2012 Santa Fe limited. Just try it and see if works, then you'll know.

Mar 30, 2014 9:55 PM in response to johnm92

I just got a 2013 Hyundai Accent and when I plugged my iPhone 5 in, it seems to have short in it or something. However, my fiend plugged in her iPhone 4S and then same thing happened! We both went out and bought new chargers but it still didn't work. Don't know what could be wrong with it. Wonder if it's something I would have to take to a dealer for since I have warranty on it?! Someone help

2011 hyundai accent and iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.