Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I change the color of an object?

I am having trouble with the color brick. I can't change the color of an object, at least not like described here: http://http://thedigitalstory.com/2012/12/easily-color-changin.html.

Some background:

1. I am working with RAW files.

2. I have RTFM.

3. I have consulted three books I own on Aperture.

4. I have searched the web for help, which is how I came across the link above.

5. I am using the color block correctly, but I can only achieve a subtle shift in the change of very pale colors. This is despite adding up to three additional color blocks to try to increase the degree of change, but there is no way I am coming close to being able to change a blue car to purple, let alone to red (this references the link above.)

Others must have experienced this, I would think. Any thoughts on what I might do differently to achieve more dramatic results from the color block? I don't even have a specific change in a specific image that I'm asking about—I just want to master the software so that I can do so when I need to. Come to think of it, there is a specific change I want to make in a image. Now it's really an important question!

Thanks,

Ben

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2010 21 inch screen

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 12:47 PM

12 replies

Nov 14, 2013 6:57 PM in response to léonie

Léonie, thank you for your suggestion. I have used the Range control, but did not realize it was not limited to the range of the slider. I will try that and let you know what happens. My apologies if that information is in the manual—if so, it must have been under something other than the section on the color block, or else I flat-out missed it!

Thanks again,

Ben

Nov 15, 2013 9:41 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, Léonie. A quick way to move any slider to its extreme is to click on the value in the Value Slider and drag all the way left or right. This is much faster than side-stepping all the way to the far limits.

I think the example the OP (Ben) is trying to emulate is misleading (given the sophistication of the Digital Story poster, deliberately, and wrongly, so). The car in the original photo is just about the only blue object (and thus pixels) in the image used to demonstrate that one can change the hue of objects using Aperture. Aperture excels at global adjustments and adjustments made to _imprecisely_ bounded areas. (This is, contrary to one's expectation, one of Aperture's great strengths: imprecisely-bounded tone and hue shifts are perceived as "natural"; precisely bounded ones look "artificial". Most photographers (as opposed to graphic artists) wish to retain the illusion of a natural world inside their pictures.) The only reason the hue-changing trick works with the car in the photo is that the Color adjustment effects only the car because it is the only blue object in the photo (there is a bluish TV in the background, and a bluish logo on one of the displays in the background).

The point is that while object-specific hue-shifts can be made with Aperture, it is not the program of choice for this kind of editing. A graphics package, which allows for much more control over selecting pixels, is recommended.

Why can't I change the color of an object?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.