Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance after update to Maverick a total disaster.

I have an iMac, a Macbook Air, a Windows 7 laptop, a Synology DS212j NAS and a 100 Bps Network (router and switch).

All was working fine till I upgraded the two Macs to Maverick. Connecting to the DS212 is still smooth (via Finder). Accessing a folder (directory) on the DS212 takes 2 minutes. Opening a folder with 600 music files takes 5 minutes. Opening a 5 MB Foto takes 1 minute. Saving an Excel file takes 3 minutes.

Before the upgrade all was working fine with good performance. The Windows laptop has the same (good) performance as before. Its the two Macs that after the upgrade from OS X 10.7 to 10.9 (Maverick) are extremely slow when accessing the Synology. Even Time Maschine (files are stored on the DS212) runs into a timeout on both Macs. A total disaster so to speak as with the current performence the DS212 has become totally useless.

The Synology has the latest firmware. Other than Anti-Virus I switched off all services/applications on the DS212 (such as the media service, etc.). On the DS212, the Windows File Service is switched on (incl. SMB2). Also the Mac File Service AFP is switched on.

When I switch off the Windows File Service the Macs are still slow.

When I switch off the Mac File Service and setup the two Macs to access the DS212 via SMB2 (new feature of Maverick) the Macs are still equally slow.

After switching on/off the various services to test I rebooted all systems to make sure there's nothing "hanging". No difference. Everything remains slow.

I have no idea why. Searched in Internet and found not a single suggestion what this could be.

Anyone out there who could help? I'm highly disappointed in Apple as I wasted already hours on this. I'm even more disappointed as now Windows seems the better system than OS X.

Many thanks in advance.

Eric vd Berg

Switzerland

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 1:08 PM

96 replies

Nov 15, 2013 3:16 AM in response to Ericvdb66

I have exactly the same issue and have logged a call with Synology who claim there is a fix for it.

I have a DS212 running 4.3-3810 using Mavericks on my new MBP which is now unusable when trying to sync with my iPhone over wifi. The NAS starts slowly transferring then reaches 10-15Mb fine for about 10 secs then drops to a few 100k for a period before speeding up again. It never stays at a constant speed like it used to meaning my sync takes hours and hours now. Even syncing large files the transfer is up and down instead of a constant speed. I have also noticed the disk lights are flashing even when I am not doing anything but they start as soon as it gets mounted on the Mac.

Someone on the forum told me there was a fix

"Synology Hi Paul, I think there is now an update to use with Mavericks, please contact our support team for the information"

As soon as I hear back (assuming I do!) I will let you know.

Nov 25, 2013 5:50 AM in response to w7ox

No help at all from the useless people at Synology who couldn't even seem to grasp the basic problem.

It now take so long to sync with my iphone that I have decided to go back to using direct attached usb drive.

If the speed stayed at 5-10m/b I would be happy but when it splutters and drops to a few 100k for long periods at a time my sync is now an overnight job instead of an hour or less previously.

Synology rolled out update 1 and Mavericks jumped to 10.9.1 but neither made any difference.

Nov 25, 2013 11:54 PM in response to Ericvdb66

I have similar issues after upgrading my iMac (late 2012) to 10.9 and my Synology DS713+ to DSM 4.3-3810.

I get performance issues when I stream movies via PS3 Mediaserver, copy large files etc. It sometimes looses connection to the Diskstation and other strange things. My system are directly connected via a gigabit copper network.

I have tried all of the above as well.

Nov 30, 2013 3:20 AM in response to flexiboy

All: the problem is Apple's Maverick. Not Synology. Under xOS 10.7 Lion it all worked fine and I was happy. After I upgraded to 10.9 Maverick the performance accessing my Synology was a total disaster and it still is. My Synology has the latest firmware. My Windows7 laptop (from where I write this message) is still performing very fast in combination with the exact same Synology.

From what I read in Internet, Apple has, in Maverick, added SMB2 cababilities in addition AFP. Microsoft has been using SMB before. I'm quite convinced that its this dual network (protocol) capability build into Maverick that has just been implemented very poorly.

Eric

Dec 4, 2013 11:52 AM in response to Fumi

Well from I can see when the IO goes to over 90% the transfer drops to a few hundred k for upto 40 secs then the IO drops down to > 35% and transfer speeds increase upto 10Mb/s over wifi before slowing again after about 30 secs.

Right now my DS212 is flashing like mad but I am doing nothing at all on it so what the heck is it doing??

During a copy the lights flash like mad but you can hear the disk access and transfer speed is rubbish and then it goes quiet and transfer speed jumps. So to me its doing some kind of buffering instead of just a constant speed.

My iphone now takes 4-5 hrs to sync with my library on the DS212 due to these slow downs and speeds ups.

If I ditch Synology will I be any better with someone else?

Jan 6, 2014 9:44 AM in response to adamxcl

Unfortunately Apple dont seem to be that bothered about fixing the issue or even admitting there is a problem. As an avid Apple fan I am starting to think they are now becoming the new Microsoft. Can't really use my NAS now due to stop/start network transfer and have reverted back to direct attached via usb. Poor show Apple.

Prehaps Tim Cook will actualy start taking the spin out of Mavericks and start to address fundemental issues affecting his customers on a daily basis.

Performance after update to Maverick a total disaster.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.