Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory slot stopped working- 3 beeps on startup

Hi

I have an I-mac early 2007 20" 10.8.5 2ghz core 2 duo

Suddenly one of my memory chips has stopped working... it has all been working fine for ages until the other week... Memory made by Crucial

When both memory chips are in both slots and i turn the power on i get 3 beeps that repeat until i turn it off

If i have one chip in the right slot it works (with half the memory!)

The other chip also works in that slot -

- So it seems my one memory slot has failed?

Is there anything else I can do to see if this is the case? Is it common? Is it fixable? What are my options?

Although it's getting old it still did a good job up until this happened... Id love a new one but cant afford atm!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 1:34 PM

4 replies

Nov 14, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Posseeuk

Maybe it's not the slot that has the problem as RAM can fail at any time and sounds like yours has done just that. If you still have the receipt (even from long ago), I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned on here that Crucial (and Macsales) offer a lifetime guarantee on their RAM modules. Worth giving them a call. But it sounds like a replacement module/modules should fix the problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5860?viewlocale=en_US

Memory slot stopped working- 3 beeps on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.