Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding text to photo with Preview

I just learned how to add text to a photo using Preview, but when I tried it a second time, it didn't work. It goes like this:

Preview>Edit>Tools>Annotate>Text.

The problem is, when I tried it a second time, the drop down menu containing "text" was grayed-out. What causes this, and how do I get "text" activated?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 2:28 PM

4 replies

Nov 14, 2013 8:39 PM in response to VikingOSX

I don't really understand you. It seems to me that you are just repeating what I said. In any event, I have now been successful in adding text to a photo. I'm not quite sure what I did wrong on my second attempt, so I'm going to do it several more times to be sure that I finally understand what to do and what not to do. I think that I might have tried to go from "Annotate" to "Text" before the photo was present. I'm not sure that that is the case, but it's possible. It may be that "Text" is grayed-out unless there is a photo on the screen before trying to click on "Text". In any event, I intend to find out. Thanks for your help.

--------

Now I understand. I was confused because I thought you were just repearting what I had already said; however, upon going through the exercise again, I saw what you were talking about. It's different and better than the way I did it the first time. I'll use your way in the future. Thanks for the help, and I'm not just being polite this time.

Jun 8, 2016 3:29 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'm having this same issue. When I go to the Preview toolbar I don't have an EDIT key. I Its not on my list of options to update the toolbar either. I'm using Preview version 8.1 if that makes any difference. I've got text on my photo but I can't figure out how to change font size or color. I'd also like to change the background color of the text box.

Adding text to photo with Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.