Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Book Pro 13 inch shuts down when I insert some usb on port. It will be dead for few days (no power, can't charge as well, no restarting) and after few days it will work? Any one facing same issue and any solutions please...

My Mac Book Pro 13 inch shuts down when I insert some usb on port. It will be dead for few days (no power, can't charge as well, no restarting) and after few days it will work? Any one facing same issue and any solutions please...

Mac Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:05 AM

Hi ohmghimire,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you're seeing unexpected behavior when using USB devices, try resetting the SMC on your MacBook Pro:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

You can find the article with these steps here:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

If you still see this behavior after resetting the SMC, or your computer won't turn on, try the steps in this article next:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1367

Best Regards,

Jeremy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2013 9:05 AM in response to ohmghimire

Hi ohmghimire,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If you're seeing unexpected behavior when using USB devices, try resetting the SMC on your MacBook Pro:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

You can find the article with these steps here:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

If you still see this behavior after resetting the SMC, or your computer won't turn on, try the steps in this article next:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1367

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Apr 17, 2014 3:29 AM in response to ohmghimire

I still have this problem, whever i connect my ipad to my macbook pro it just goes blank, doesnt charge and the battery life indicator shows 0 even though its full.

I worked my way around this, (opening the backcover, then flipping up a part that is connected to the battery, near the blue stuff, holding it up for 10 seconds then putting everything back) but everytime I connect my ipad it just goes blank again and i still dont know how to make my mac be connected without any issue.

I heard its about some safety mode to protect the mac but then why is it shutting down when its just my iPad?

Hope somebody helps me 😢

Apr 25, 2016 5:51 AM in response to ohmghimire

I have this same issue. I connected one of the portable batteries to an USB port in order to charge it, and the computer instantly shutdown: it wouldn't charge or switch on. I panicked, of course, and then opened up the bottom cover and stare at the components. I did also disconnected the battery connector, and when trying to restart it was successful. Now I am afraid to connect anything via USB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.