Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot insert CD/DVD into iMac

Hello all!

This afternoon when trying to insert a disk to do a burn, it won't go in, only about half way. I tried the typical solutions suggested in this forum,

(1) pressing the eject keyboard button while starting the machine,

(2) starting the machine with the mouse button pressed in,

(3) clearing the PRAM. None of these solutions worked in my case. Disk utilities indicate that the drive is awaitng for a CD to be inserted. What else should I investigate? Thanks.

PS:

I tried also the following terminal commands:

drutil eject

drutil tray eject

drutil list

etc....

None of those helped.

No one has tried to insert anything into the slot, as I am the only one who lives here and it just worked a few weeks ago.

Using 10.6.8

iMac

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 4:56 PM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2013 3:46 AM in response to DiZzYNaTiOn

When you used it a few weeks ago, what did you put into the optical drive? Can you find that disc now? Is it possible that the disc you last used in the drive is still in the drive, and the drive is being non-responsive for some reason.

In case there is a power issue inside the iMac, I would try doing a Reset SMC. Since you run 10.6.8, it must be an Intel-based iMac (not PowerPC). This is the Reset SMC procedure

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

It's basically unplugging the iMac from power and re-plugging it in a precise way. If you have been connecting it to power through an old or overcrowded power strip (surge suppressor), try connecting it to a wall outlet by itself to see if that makes any difference.

Cannot insert CD/DVD into iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.