Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple drop menus in formulas

Hi there, i am using my mac os x 10.6.8 with Numbers 09 and am very new to creating formulas. I am using a template and am making my own alterations. As you can see in the pic attached i have one spreadsheet (transaction) that all information is entered and from there i want that information to be directed to the corresponding "account" gaph. Eg each graph is a seperate account, from the transaction spreadsheet i have drop down menus set up for each account and for each category. Am I able to have both account and category drop menu in the formula for the relative corresponding graph? Is there a way i can achieve this? Thank you for your assitance. LUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Automator

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 7:03 AM

Lindo,

you want to sum amounts when they meet two conditions:

1) The account matches the table you are summing in

2) the category matches

to do this you use the SUMIFS() function which allows more than one condition to sum a particular row.

I would suggest adding a new header row to each summary table and in cell A1 store the account type (AMX, Master Card, Goal Saver, etc).

so the current formula:

B2=sumif($Category, A2, Transactions :: Amount)

should change to (move down a row because we added one more header row):

B3=sumifs(Transactions :: Amount, Transactions :: Account, $A$1, Transactions :: Category, A3)

Duplicate this table and change the account in cell A1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 7:03 AM in response to Lindo77

Lindo,

you want to sum amounts when they meet two conditions:

1) The account matches the table you are summing in

2) the category matches

to do this you use the SUMIFS() function which allows more than one condition to sum a particular row.

I would suggest adding a new header row to each summary table and in cell A1 store the account type (AMX, Master Card, Goal Saver, etc).

so the current formula:

B2=sumif($Category, A2, Transactions :: Amount)

should change to (move down a row because we added one more header row):

B3=sumifs(Transactions :: Amount, Transactions :: Account, $A$1, Transactions :: Category, A3)

Duplicate this table and change the account in cell A1

Nov 15, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne,

thanks for gettign back to me.

That was a great help. Only issue was that when i typed in the =sumifs(Transactions :: Amount, Transactions :: Account, $A$1, Transactions :: Category, A3), the transactions account came back saying it is an invalid reference. But as i was deleting the Account in the formula i accedently stumbled on leaving the A in there and that worked a treat.

Any explanation why the Account didnt work.

Other than that it works beautifully.

Many thanks,

L

Multiple drop menus in formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.