Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW files corrupted in Aperture

With the upgrade to Mavricks and Aperture 3.5 I hoped my problems with RAW (ORF) images were over, but I am getting this again. Shooting RAW+JPEG and importing directly into Aperture, I'm seeing some image pairs like this:

User uploaded file

I've gone in and deleted the plist, cleaned up the Aperture Library, no luck. Any suggestions?

Brian

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 5:30 PM

10 replies

Nov 15, 2013 12:10 PM in response to léonie

leonie,

Tried the upgrades and no changes.

I had also a while back contacted Apple support and just received an email from a tech who works with the Aperture team at Apple and I'm sending them some images and they will take a look. Hopefully, help is on the way. Thanks for your input to this point and I'll keep the Forum posted,

Brian

Nov 15, 2013 12:13 PM in response to azartguy

You need to be a little more careful with terminology. Saying that the RAW files are "corrupted" is implying that Aperture is rewriting your original raw files and making them unreadable. This would be a very bad thing. That does not seem to be the case, instead, you are seeing a bad raw conversion. Which is pretty bad, but not as bad as the former.

Nov 15, 2013 12:22 PM in response to azartguy

leoni et al,

Seems there are two issues at work. One is the on-going problem with occasional RAW (ORF) images being corrupted. This post be a separate problem, e.g. using the Olympus in-camera "overlay" feature.

In the OM-D I can take up to 3 RAW images and overlay them in the camera; in this case I used 2 files, both are preserved and a new combined RAW image is recorded on the SD card.

Adobe Camera RAW, and the native Olympus Viewer handle this with no problem, rendering both RAW images plus a combined RAW image. However, when imported into Aperture one of the 2 original RAW files disapears and the other RAW file is corrupted and a JPEG combined file is produced (as pictured above in the OP).

Brian

Nov 15, 2013 12:25 PM in response to azartguy

works with the Aperture team at Apple and I'm sending them some images and they will take a look.

That is good to know, Brian. Let us know, what will come of it.

Meanwhile, have you tried to adjust the raw fine tuning adjustment? I found with my Canon raws, that it will help a lot to adjust the "Hue Boost" in the Raw Fine Tuning adjustment brick to correctbover saturate colors in my raw images.

Nov 15, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith,

Well, two RAW files go in, one goes away and cannot be retrieved, the color shift of the ramaining RAW file makes that image unusaeable.

Digital boffins might find the distinctions meaningful. But whether or not the original RAW data is "corrupted," or is simply rendered unuseable, the outcome from my point of view is exactly the same. Gone is gone, ruined is ruined.

The distrinction you're trying to make, from the end-user perspective, is like the distinction between being hit over the head with a baseball bat or an iron bar. The semantic distinction in both cases eludes me,

Brian

RAW files corrupted in Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.