Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy photos from iphoto to an sd card. Copy doesn't work and export doesn't work.

I have tried to copy photos to an SD drive on my macbook pro from iphoto. Copy does not work and I get an error when I try export. Can this be done?

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:56 PM

What error do you get?

Have you tried exporting to a folder on the desktop and then dragging that to the SD card?

34 replies

Nov 15, 2013 9:32 AM in response to jcahouston

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a potential solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what system version are you running?
  • what happens when you try to drag and drop from the Finder? Any messages?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

OT

Nov 15, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Old Toad

Ok, Old Toad, If you had looked at my profile you would see that I am using a 2012 Macbook Pro, 2.6Ghz, i7, 8 GB mem. I have loaded the lasted updates, i.e. OS X 10.9 and Iphoto 11 v 9.5. I can't say for sure if I have successfully done this procedure on a previous version. There are no error messages, just a crossed circle failure except for the message "unable to render file" on an export attempt. I am using the default iphoto library. I do not know how to find utilization of the boot drive. This should not be this difficult. Thanks for your interest and help.

Nov 15, 2013 7:16 PM in response to jcahouston

If that's your boot drive IMMETIATELY clear up some space on it. You're in very dangerous waters. I'm supprised the Mac will even boot or operate. I'll bet it's running rather slowly also. With that amount of free space there's not enough room to copy the photos to the Desktop as the free space is being taken up by temporary cache files and virtual memory.

It's strongly recommended that a MIMIMUM of 10 GB free space be maintained on the boot drive for optimal system and application performance.

Get an external HD, formatted for OS X Extended (journaled) and move files to it. You can move your iPhoto and iTunes library to it and operate them from there. Whatever you do don't try to add any more files to the drive and clear it out ASAP. You're running the risk of locking up the Mac and being unable to reboot or operate.

Nov 16, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your advice. Since I have no technical expertise in this area it's looks like a trip to the Genius Bar is in order for me. ( I have 30 experience with windows but a mac newbie ). It looks like I also have to invest in some OS X literature. However, except for some slow response occasionally in web site loading, my macbook seem to be running fine otherwise ? ? ?

How do I copy photos from iphoto to an sd card. Copy doesn't work and export doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.