Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

am not able to click & drag songs to my playlists

Hi,

I just downloaded the most recent version of ITunes. When I try to click and drag songs from my Music library to a playlist though, I get a RED circle with a cross thru it. It's like it's not in edit mode or something. I 'authorized' my computer.

I received a reply with a suggestion to manage my content manually. But when I try to follow the directions to do that, I can't even locate the Summary icon on the Toolbar. Ugh!

There's only these icons on the top toolbars.....

Songs

Albums

Artists

Genres

Radio

On the Left side is,....

Library

Store

Devices

Genius

Playlists

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 2:11 PM

I had a look at that reply.

'nuff said.

Personally, I would not recommend manually managing an iPod. Apart from being a cumbersome way to manage an iPod, if ever you need to Restore the iPod, or even when you simply replace it with a new one, using Sync to put the content that you had on the iPod, onto the new (or Restored) iPod, will be much easier than "manual managing"!

I have two suggestions:

1. (You may already be doing this, although the previous answer you were given has assumed that you are not:) add songs to Playlists in your iTunes Library (without the iPod connected) and then connect up the iPod and let the Sync process put those changes onto your iPod.
  2. A red circle while trying to add songs to a Playlist means that iTunes cannot add the song. This may be because you are trying to add it to a Smart Playlist or to a Playlist Folder. (You can't.) You can add songs to a regular Playlist.

User uploaded file

Smart Playlists have rules. Songs which meet those rules are automatically added to the Smart Playlists by iTunes - you cannot add any by drag-and-drop. If you wish to add a song to a Smart Playlist, either change the rules so that the song is put in (which will probably add others too) or, select the songs in the Playlist and choose New Playlist from Selection. Once you have done so, simply add the extra song.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 2:11 PM in response to nwseattle

I had a look at that reply.

'nuff said.

Personally, I would not recommend manually managing an iPod. Apart from being a cumbersome way to manage an iPod, if ever you need to Restore the iPod, or even when you simply replace it with a new one, using Sync to put the content that you had on the iPod, onto the new (or Restored) iPod, will be much easier than "manual managing"!

I have two suggestions:

1. (You may already be doing this, although the previous answer you were given has assumed that you are not:) add songs to Playlists in your iTunes Library (without the iPod connected) and then connect up the iPod and let the Sync process put those changes onto your iPod.
  2. A red circle while trying to add songs to a Playlist means that iTunes cannot add the song. This may be because you are trying to add it to a Smart Playlist or to a Playlist Folder. (You can't.) You can add songs to a regular Playlist.

User uploaded file

Smart Playlists have rules. Songs which meet those rules are automatically added to the Smart Playlists by iTunes - you cannot add any by drag-and-drop. If you wish to add a song to a Smart Playlist, either change the rules so that the song is put in (which will probably add others too) or, select the songs in the Playlist and choose New Playlist from Selection. Once you have done so, simply add the extra song.

am not able to click & drag songs to my playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.