Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Server Mavericks, transfer from SL goes awry

I tried to move my Snow Leopard server to Mavericks. It's turned out to be a colossal failure. For starters, the DNS is all screwed up. Without that working, there isn't much hope to get the other services up and going.

When I click on DNS in Server, I get a Error Reading Settings and nothing displays in the Host Name Area. I then try to add back my DNS information. Using the same DNS information I had before, I tried to enter a new hostname. I click on the Create button and nothing happens. I then try to click away from DNS and it asks me to save the changes. I try to save the changes, at that point, Server is in a stuck state; clicking in any of the three options, does nothing.

Does someone know how I can delete my old DNS information that appears to be mucking the machine so that I can reenter my DNS information from saved from SL?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 10:23 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2013 7:11 AM in response to StephenM

Take a look at this article... it confirms that Mavericks is still using BIND and has tips on editing via command line.

http://krypted.com/mac-security/setup-the-dns-service-in-os-x-mavericks-server/

Any BIND startup errors should be logged here

/Library/Logs/named.log

It should detaill the zone file and specific issue.

When the Server app can't parse the config and zone files - your only choice it to manually clean them up or copy named.conf and the zone files from a working machine.

You'll also find some utilities that check your bind config and zone files located at

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin

named-checkconf

named-checkzone

Jeff

Help with Server Mavericks, transfer from SL goes awry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.