Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode updater's blues

I recently started teaching myself C++, with Xcode. I'm pretty new to programming, but everything was going great, until I updated Xcode from v3.2.6 to v5.0.2. Now I am completely baffled by this new interface. All the menus are different, and I cannot for the life of me get my programs to run! It just keeps saying "Build Succeeded" and then nothing happens. On Xcode 3, all I had to do was hit cmd-return and my programs would run. Now, nothing.

Please help me get my programs to run again! Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 10:57 AM

You haven't said what you expected to happen, but I'm guessing you're expecting to see console output for your program. The console output should appear in the debug area at the bottom of the project window. If you're not seeing the debug area, choose View > Debug Area > Show Debug Area to show the debug area. Choosing View > Debug Area > Activate Console shows the console. There's also a set of three buttons in the upper right corner of the project window toolbar that allow you to show and hide parts of the project window. Click the middle button to show the debug area.

If you can see the console and there's no output when you click the Run (Play) button, you're going to have provide more information for people to help you. Some information that would help is the type of project you created, the source code for your program, and the expected behavior of the program.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 10:57 AM in response to Jeremy Bell2

You haven't said what you expected to happen, but I'm guessing you're expecting to see console output for your program. The console output should appear in the debug area at the bottom of the project window. If you're not seeing the debug area, choose View > Debug Area > Show Debug Area to show the debug area. Choosing View > Debug Area > Activate Console shows the console. There's also a set of three buttons in the upper right corner of the project window toolbar that allow you to show and hide parts of the project window. Click the middle button to show the debug area.

If you can see the console and there's no output when you click the Run (Play) button, you're going to have provide more information for people to help you. Some information that would help is the type of project you created, the source code for your program, and the expected behavior of the program.

Nov 15, 2013 2:57 PM in response to Mark Szymczyk

Thanks Mark. I finally realized that I had selected "Framework & Library" in the New Project window, instead of "Application" like I'd been doing before. I still don't totally understand why this would make my program not run, but I think it was probably a bit foolish of me to expect to learn c++ all by myself just by reading a book. Clearly I've got a lot to learn.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Xcode updater's blues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.