Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical Out to 5.1/7.1 Surround (mini-jacks)

Okay, so I currently have a Griffin Firewave for outputting sound from my Mac Pro to my 5.1 surround speakers (which use three stereo mini-jacks).

However, I'll be upgrading soon, and I'm not sure my Griffin Firewave's in the best of condition anyway so I'd like to replace it. Now, I know there are plenty of USB to 5.1/7.1 surround options, but I was wondering; is it possible to use the optical out available on all current Macs?

I've been looking in the hopes of finding an optical out to 5.1/7.1 mini-jacks for a while, but I don't really have any idea of the correct thing to look for (the different types of optical output have confused me to no end).

I mean, USB will probably be fine, but it just seems like I have a perfectly good audio output, I just need some way to convert it to the inputs required by my speakers. If it makes any difference I can also connect my speakers using six phono jacks.

Any recommendations are welcome, I'd also love to know what terms I should really be looking for as I have no idea what type of optical out current Macs use, or what the correct term for 5.1 and 7.1 surround using mini-jacks is etc. 🙂

MacPro (2 x Quad-core 3.2ghz Xeon), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 10gb RAM, 4 x 750gb hard-drives (RAID-0)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 3:23 AM

There are no replies.

Optical Out to 5.1/7.1 Surround (mini-jacks)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.