Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't read files from mac hd

Hi,

I've successfully loaded a Boot Camp Windows 8.1 partition on my new rMBP 15" (Haswell). The installation went smoothly. Boot camp drivers were installed automatically after Windows did its thing. The Windows build seems stable, but things get ugly if I try to open a file directly from the Mac HD.

From Windows Explorer I can see photos in my photos folder on my Mac HD, but with a generic icon (no preview). If I try to open them, the Windows photo viewer complains that the file could not be read. If I copy the file to my Windows partition, then the photo works perfectly - preview icon, can open etc.

Opening a Word document from the Mac HD caused a BSOD (or the Win 8.1 variant of it, at least).

I'm a bit stumped - I've done so little other than simply do Boot Camp, Windows 8.1, Apple drivers, Office 2013, Windows updates. That's it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,

Nick

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:07 AM

mac hd is read only in bootcamp

and win hd is read only in osx

if you need to open files copy them to your active hd first

many peoples try to make temp files in the dir

of the file you open and may malfunction if the dir is read only

7 replies

Nov 19, 2013 4:59 PM in response to Rudegar

Yeah - OK - thanks. Sure, one can always copy, but that's kinda dumb (IMHO). Duplication leads to version control problems, not to mention general headaches and messiness.

In the end, I ditched the Bootcamp partition and installed Parallels desktop. Much better solution: no annoying restarts, full integration between the two file systems, Windows within OSX windows, dynamic virtual hard drive (ie no static partition and associated wastefulness), etc. Much better solution (for me - I have no use cases for which VM performance is a problem).

Thanks for your comments in any case.

Nick

Can't read files from mac hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.