Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clock running fast

Since updating to Mavericks, I think probably specifically the latest update, the clock is running fast on my 2012 (thin) iMac. It can gain a minute in a day.

I'm set to Apple Europe (time.euro.apple.com.). If I turn this setting off and on again, the computer fetches the correct time.

Until recently I also had Set time zone automatically using current location (I'm on CET), but I've now unselected this to see if it makes any difference.

As a control, I have an older iMac running Snow Leopard sitting next to it on the same connection which has perfect time.

This 2012 iMac had no problem either with the time before Mavericks.

P.S. Also since updating to Mavericks I've had all sorts of sync problems with Mail/Gmail, 1Password and Dropbox, usually resulting in missing files. I wonder now if this isn't all clock related as it must be difficult to sync without an accurate clock.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 4:08 AM

21 replies

Nov 15, 2013 10:24 AM in response to macgabe

Well, no, trashing preferences has not helped. Already after about half an hour I can see a one second advance on this clock.

I'm worried that the wrong time may affect many other applications such as Mail, Dropbox and a live trading app I use in Citrix, where seconds really count, let alone minutes.

I'm surprised, however, that no-one else has reported this. Could it be no-one has noticed?

Some keywords to ease searching: iMac clock shows wrong time; Mavericks clock wrong, Apple time sync not working.

Nov 16, 2013 9:39 AM in response to macgabe

Now I have reset the PRAM, and the iMac clock is still running fast. I can't think what else I can try.

It seems to me this must be a Mavericks problem because the computer was definitely working fine before Mavericks - I check pretty much every day because there are certain markets that open at specific times.

And yet no-one else seems to have reported this problem, so I really don't know what to think. I'll see if I can get this fixed under the warranty.

Nov 30, 2013 8:17 AM in response to macgabe

macgabe wrote:

I'm surprised, however, that no-one else has reported this. Could it be no-one has noticed?

Here are other users with what appears to be the same issue…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5545153?answerId=23745999022#23745999022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5604114

I would be tempted to try a non-Apple based time server, look for one that is local to you, just type it into the field in the data & time preferences.

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

Nov 30, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey thanks for drawing my attention to that other thread. I'm going to try rebooting in Safe mode, failing that Recovery mode (if it exists on an iMac) and failing that I'll try a different time server, but I don't think the latter will be the problem as I've tried a few already. It's still driving me nuts! Will report back.

Dec 1, 2013 2:46 AM in response to Drew Reece

OK Drew, I can confirm that booting in Safe Mode http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US fixes the problem, at least as long as I stay in Safe Mode. I.e. the clock keeps perfect time.

I have now rebooted in normal mode and will monitor to see if the problem has been fixed permanently.

As an aside, in Safe Mode, Mail, message centre, Finder all behave weirdly. The message centre actually displayed text 180 degrees inverted in the vertical plane - like a mirror image ! I couldn't take a screen shot though, it would disappear when I tried to do this. I saw this behaviour somewhere else several years ago on my old computer in a different place - I think the Get Info window. It fixed itself after a few months.

Also, in Safe Mode, before actually logging in (but after rebooting), the clock is still wrong, but this time, strangely, it is slow, not fast. As soon as I log in the clock corrects and stays correct.

In fact, just logging in after a normal restart is also enough to set the clock correctly, but then it would start to gain time.

Anyway, will monitor and report back if my problem is now permanently fixed or not.

Dec 1, 2013 4:47 AM in response to macgabe

Safe mode disables the 3rd party extensions & background tasks, so that suggests it is caused by something that is loaded during a normal boot. Graphics can be wierd since the drivers are in a very basic mode, mirrored GUI seems entertaining, good job for not being distracted by it 🙂

An EtreCheck report will help see what is installed & loaded (run it in a normal boot).

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Have you actually resolved this or just isolated it to being OK in safe boot? Safe mode is not a very good place to get work done.

Clock running fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.