Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad can't go online even though it can sense wifi signals

My iPad needs to be "Network Reset" frequently. How to fix this please?

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:52 AM

If you are having WiFi problems it is necessary to isolate whether the problem is with your network or your iPad. Note: Do NOT consider your network to be blameless if some other devices can connect to it.

First, test your iPad on some other WiFi networks: a friends, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc.

If it works well there then the problem is probably with your network. Try restarting your WiFi router by removing power for 30 seconds. If that does not help check for a firmware update for your router. If none exists which corrects the problem consider replacing the router.

If your iPad does not function well on other networks it possibly has a hardware problem. You could try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to see if that corrects the problem. If not, contact Apple Support or visit an Apple store for evaluation. They can provide a replacement if your iPad is bad.

If you need more help please give the make, model, and version of your WiFi router and how you have it configured.

See also here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/wifi/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 6:52 AM in response to IvySG

If you are having WiFi problems it is necessary to isolate whether the problem is with your network or your iPad. Note: Do NOT consider your network to be blameless if some other devices can connect to it.

First, test your iPad on some other WiFi networks: a friends, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc.

If it works well there then the problem is probably with your network. Try restarting your WiFi router by removing power for 30 seconds. If that does not help check for a firmware update for your router. If none exists which corrects the problem consider replacing the router.

If your iPad does not function well on other networks it possibly has a hardware problem. You could try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to see if that corrects the problem. If not, contact Apple Support or visit an Apple store for evaluation. They can provide a replacement if your iPad is bad.

If you need more help please give the make, model, and version of your WiFi router and how you have it configured.

See also here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/wifi/

Nov 15, 2013 3:34 PM in response to JimHdk

Hi JimHK

Thanks for your answer. While it is helpful, the problem I have is a little more complex.

I have been using the same wifi for a few days, then suddenly, this inability to go online in spite of the wifi signals being sensed pops up. I have done the Network Reset a few times, as well as done a complete shutdown and restart, and it sometimes works, but sometimes, the iPad still can't work. Does it look like I have a bad iPad?

Thanks,

Ivy

iPad can't go online even though it can sense wifi signals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.