Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external back up disc for time machine is not excepted

When backing up to my external disc iOmega I keep getting this error message:

back up to iOmega_CD failed. The back up disc is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format which is required.

What format does it need to be? What can I do?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:29 AM

With the drive plugged in, launch Disk Utility. Select the iOmega drive icon and over to the right you'll see a Partition tab. Select it. The window will change and you'll see a tall rectangle which represents your drive. Above it there will be a popup menu labeled Current. Click it and select 1 Partition. Below the rectangle you'll see a button labeled Options. There you'll select GUID partition table. Finally, next to the rectangle near the top you'll see a large textbox for your drive's name and below it a popup menu. Click on the menu and select MacOS Extended (Journaled). Now click on the Apply button at the bottom right of the dialog box. After a few minutes you'll have a drive ready for TimeMachine.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 6:29 AM in response to Elke from CA

With the drive plugged in, launch Disk Utility. Select the iOmega drive icon and over to the right you'll see a Partition tab. Select it. The window will change and you'll see a tall rectangle which represents your drive. Above it there will be a popup menu labeled Current. Click it and select 1 Partition. Below the rectangle you'll see a button labeled Options. There you'll select GUID partition table. Finally, next to the rectangle near the top you'll see a large textbox for your drive's name and below it a popup menu. Click on the menu and select MacOS Extended (Journaled). Now click on the Apply button at the bottom right of the dialog box. After a few minutes you'll have a drive ready for TimeMachine.

Nov 15, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Elke from CA

In your original message you said you got the error: The back up disc is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format which is required." which led me to assume the drive had never been used before and was formatted for Windows.

If you've been using this drive for TimeMachine backups already the only reasons I can think of why you'd get this error are: 1) because the drive was reformatted in exFAT (DOS) or 2) the drive and/or partition table is damaged.

external back up disc for time machine is not excepted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.