Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 wireless (A909g): no more sharing of card slot?

Hi there,

Before:

- in the past (OSX 10.6) my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless (model A909g) supported "direct scan to folder" using a SMB folder shared on the Mac and working OK

- after 10.7 (or 10.8) Apple changed SMB support disallowing plaintext passwords and that feature was KO

- I was using a workaround: scanning to a SD card inserted in the HP printer and then copying the content from the SD card seen as a shared folder on the network

Now:

- Just after having installed Mavericks the shared folder on the printer are not available anymore, I am getting the device in the SHARED sidebar as usual but when I try to connect (using whatever password I might remember) I get an ACCESS FAILED message. (see screenshot, in Italian)

Any help? This printer is losing features for every update 😠

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 7:47 AM

3 replies

Nov 15, 2013 8:12 AM in response to thelazydesigner

More info:

- On my other OSX 10.8 system everything is still alright:

User uploaded file

- If I try to connect (CMD-K) from OSX 10.9 to the same IP I'm getting an error saying "There is no partition available or you're not authorized to access this server (...)"

- On the Mavericks console I'm getting this message while trying to access:

kernel[0]: smb_smb_ssnsetup: HP0024812CE1E3 doesn't support extended security, this server will be deprecated in the future!

...seems the future has arrived ?!?

😮

Apr 19, 2014 6:19 AM in response to thelazydesigner

More news:

there's a firmware update for HP OfficeJet Pro 6500 Wireless (A909g) which is compatible with the new SMBX protocol! This re-enables scan to folder capabilities in OSX 10.8 & later!

You CANNOT find this update under Mac OSX menu on the HP support page but only under Windows, and need to update the firmware via a Windows system (or a VMware machine).

After that, it works!

🙂

HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 wireless (A909g): no more sharing of card slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.