Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD installation issues

First off, apologies! I know this has been covered plenty but I've been reading for hours and hours on how to install my new SSD and I'm more confused as there seem to be a million and one ways of doing it but I'm not sure which is best.

What I have:

Macbook Pro with HD still in

New SSD drive (untouched, in box still)

Time machine backup on external firewire drive

I've been reading about Sata to Usb, external casings, carbon clone copies, and im so confused.

All I would like to know is, can I swap the hard drive out, SSD in and boot up from time machine and copy contents across, basically giving me an exact copy of what I have on the HD right now?

Many thanks!

Alex.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 7:58 AM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2013 8:53 AM in response to cornzee

cornzee wrote:

...All I would like to know is, can I swap the hard drive out, SSD in and boot up from time machine and copy contents across, basically giving me an exact copy of what I have on the HD right now?...

Short answer is maybe. See the section in green here. Note the instructions on how to boot from the Time Machine drive using the Alt/Option key and what needs to be plugged in and powered up before you start. I would suggest trying the first part while the HD is still installed to see how it works.

New SSD installation issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.