Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does deleting a user also delete its files?

We have an imac 27inch, that the family uses all together. I am starting school so it is going to become my personal computer and I will be the only user. There are 2 users on the mac (myself, my dad, my mom). We all have the Adobe suite on our users along with songs in itunes and such. Weve already backed up all the data. If I just go and delete the other users, (my dad and mom) will all the data also be removed? Ill need the extra hard drive space, but I dont know if it will store the data somewhere else on the mac or not. Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:50 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you are using OS X Mavericks, the user files will be deleted. If you are using an older Mac OS X version like OS X Mountain Lion, System Preferences will let you choose if you want to keep the files or to remove them.

You can check which Mac OS X version you have got in  > About this Mac. OS X 10.9 is Mavericks

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 9:50 AM in response to vinnylav

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you are using OS X Mavericks, the user files will be deleted. If you are using an older Mac OS X version like OS X Mountain Lion, System Preferences will let you choose if you want to keep the files or to remove them.

You can check which Mac OS X version you have got in  > About this Mac. OS X 10.9 is Mavericks

Does deleting a user also delete its files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.