Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Native mail app still crashing with iOS 7.0.4 installed

I was hoping the latest update would address this issue I've had the last few days but my mail app is still crashing on my iPhone 5s even after installing the 7.0.4 update. I've tried all the tricks regarding closing the app, resetting the phone etc., also deleted all my email accounts and it still crashed. I've seen others have had this issue and the only solution people have come up with is to restore the phone to the factory settings. Any one come up with a better solution? If not I hope an influx of these posts atleast gets apple's attention on the matter... 😕

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:12 AM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2013 8:50 PM in response to Joeproblems

Seems to have gotten worse for me on my 4s. 7.0.3 wasn't a problem, but 7.0.4's Mail is not useable. It will crash before I finish reading a single message. Looking at the logs, it looks like MobileMail is chewing through all the memory before the OS kicks it out. Looks like it has a memory leak or some other unbounded memory usage problem. Tried going back to 7.0.3, but seems that Apple has blocked us from doing that using normal tools 😠 Doing the restore to factory settings doesn't seem to help me. Now I'm trying to see if it's a specific e-mail that is causing problems, but I haven't found it yet...

Nov 22, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Alvin Jee

My 4S with 7.0.4 crashes on Mail as well, including after a full re-set.

I was also running the Boxer mail app and it ran most of the time but also had crashes, so I've removed it.

I'm also using Mailbox for my Gmail account and it seems to be OK -- but is no use of course for my non-Gmail accounts.

Am NOT impressed with Apple! 😠

BTW, Facebook is also crashing now too... 😠

Nov 24, 2013 1:11 AM in response to RodO.

Hmm.. not sure what's up with Facebook, but I mananged to fix my mail problem.

OSX-specific tech details: I am using uw imap for my mail server running on OSX. Turns out the only way to fix my particular problem was to start over with an empty mail spool file. Fortunately, Mail.app on OSX was still able to work, so I:

1) used Mail.app to move all my messages from my Inbox to a new folder to save the messages;

2) quit Mail.app

3) used the command line (Terminal) to delete my /var/mail file

4) fired up Mail.app to verify that the Inbox is empty

5) went to another e-mail account like gmail or yahoo or icloud (you do have more than one, yes?) and sent myself an email

6) checked that the new message shows up on the iPhone without using up all the memory

Interestingly, I can still access all the mail that used to be in the Inbox by accessing the folder created in step 1 from the iPhone.

YMMV, but that worked for me.

Dec 17, 2013 6:06 PM in response to Joeproblems

I am having a similar problem. 7.04

Mail crashes when opening Exchange mail. Active sync ok.

Works with personal mail.

What has been done

Restored to factory settings and reset up mail for exchange and mail crashes as soon as it has downloaded the messages. Goes to a white screen that you can see if you double click the home button.

Deleted the exchange account and set up a personal account and all is ok.

No one else in the organization is having problems and I went through the same diags with our it department with no Improvement. This happened with 7.03 also 7.04 is still happening.

Worked with Apple support last night to try and fix. Learned a lot but still no fix.

Feb 15, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Fullmonty

I've used iPads since iOS 5 with minimal issues.

As of the iOS 7.x.x updates (currently running iOS 7.0.4 on all 5 of my iPads), I'd say my iPad experience equates to that of MS Windows 3.1.:

- Frequent app crashes (app simply closes) with no warnings or errors.

- Devices frequently lock up at the login screen (about 50% of the time when I attempt to login using a BlueTooth keyboard -- and I've tried several different bluetooth keyboards, so it's not device-specific)

- At least one involuntary full system re-start a week

I am not impressed, Apple!

I've visited many, many forums and chat boards seeking news of fixes or workarounds for all of the above. I came here hoping someone knew why eMail was crashing and how I could stop it (because I often lose 5-15 minutes of work whenever crashes occur). No dice!

Native mail app still crashing with iOS 7.0.4 installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.