Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set subtitles to off as default in the video app

Ever since I installed ios 7, videos played in the ipad video app come up with subtitles as default. If I go into the subtitles menu and turn them off, then exit the app and relaunch it, the subtitles are back! I never want subtitles - is there a way that I can set them to 'off' as default? It's really annoying and I won't be buying any movies from iTunes until this is resolved out of protest!

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 10:41 AM

12 replies

Jan 7, 2014 6:45 PM in response to CrazyPaulo

Okay, i had the same problem and i know how to fix it.

The other replys say go to the settings>General>Accessibility >subtitles &amp.

you dont need to do this.

here is how you remove the subtitles.

1. go into the videos app

2. tap the TV show or movie that has subtitles

3. tap the screen (so that the pause/play button, fast forwad button etc is showing)

4. there should be, in the bottom right corner a small waht looks like a speach bubble

5. tap that and select off

(diagram below)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 30, 2014 10:48 PM in response to CrazyPaulo

I have had this exact problem on my iPod touch. I can do what TheHairyGoldfish suggested, but it is very annoying to have to do it at the beginning of every video that had subtitles available, whether it be a movie, TV show, or Youtube or other online video. Also, when I go to the menu and turn subtitles off, they are still there. I have to switch heck to English and turn them off again before they actually go away. In essence, I have to turn my subtitles off TWICE at the beginning of each video in order to watch it without subtitles. It is really quite annoying. Just to clarify, TheHairyGoldfish, CrazyPaulo is trying to make the videos start with the subtitles off by default so he doesn't have to do what you are suggesting EVERY TIME he wants to watch a video.

How do I set subtitles to off as default in the video app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.