Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA Mid 2013 lower build quality, warranty issue?

I upgraded my 2011 13" MBA to this years' mid-2013 13" MBA and notice something different. When placing the laptop on my lap and typing, there is a crack/click sound.

This is something pressing up against the bottom of my keyboard and is a plastic-on-plastic sound. Investigating further I see that this is the result of significantly more "give" on the bottom plate of the laptop than previous models. What is happening as that my wrists pushing down on the keyboard are enough to bend the bottom of the laptop. And I'm not a heavy guy.

Putting the laptop on its side, face open at 90 degrees and pressing in the middle of the bottom plate very lightly you will hear a loud clicking noise as the laptop is deformed and some plastic inside is mashing against each other. Imagine you have a loose tooth in your mouth and if you push it then it will click and move. It feels like like that but much louder.

This was definitely not an issue with the previous model. The 2011 was much more solid.

Has anyone else seen reduced structural integrity of this latest MacBook Air model? So I get a new laptop?

iPad, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 2:10 PM

Full Decent

This is something pressing up against the bottom of my keyboard and is a plastic-on-plastic sound. Investigating further I see that this is the result of significantly more "give" on the bottom plate of the laptop than previous models.

I owned many Air and they will all do it, (especially the 13") very likely the first time you noticed it.

The alloy frame of the 2013 is identical to the 2012 save for 2 mic hole. My 13" 2013 will do the very same thing.

is bottom plate or screw snap from tension. Utterly normal, and certainly not "less quality" this year over last.

The same number of people mention that on this board this year as LAST year model.

Macbook Air chassis tolerances/ specs didnt change 1 single iota this year over 2012 model.

This was definitely not an issue with the previous model.

Yes, it was, Ive seen it out of 2011 and 2012 model personally, and its not an 'issue' at all.

Peace

😊

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Full Decent

Full Decent

This is something pressing up against the bottom of my keyboard and is a plastic-on-plastic sound. Investigating further I see that this is the result of significantly more "give" on the bottom plate of the laptop than previous models.

I owned many Air and they will all do it, (especially the 13") very likely the first time you noticed it.

The alloy frame of the 2013 is identical to the 2012 save for 2 mic hole. My 13" 2013 will do the very same thing.

is bottom plate or screw snap from tension. Utterly normal, and certainly not "less quality" this year over last.

The same number of people mention that on this board this year as LAST year model.

Macbook Air chassis tolerances/ specs didnt change 1 single iota this year over 2012 model.

This was definitely not an issue with the previous model.

Yes, it was, Ive seen it out of 2011 and 2012 model personally, and its not an 'issue' at all.

Peace

😊

MBA Mid 2013 lower build quality, warranty issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.