Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panasonic HDC-SDT750 and Final Cut Express 4.

I have an Imac Intel core 2 duo OS X 10.5.8.(2008) I will upgrade soon to SNOW Leopard and 6GB ram to burn blue ray but the question is about how you download and edit the Panasonic HDC-SDT750 in Final Cut Express 4. I'm torn between this camera (because of 3 CCD) and the Canon Vixia but what I care most it's the compatibility with Final Cut without any special software. Can you download and edit the Panasonic 750 (no 3D) without special software and long time conversions like you do with CANON? Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks..

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.8 intel core duo. memory 2GB 800

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:57 PM

I have used that camera SDT750 with FCE.

Set the camera to shoot 1080i footage at the highest quality and you will have no problems.

1080p will not work.

Also format the card you use, in the camera before use.

Connect the camera to FCE with the camera supplied USB cable or use a card reader that is compatible with the card.

FCE>File>Log and Transfer.

Al

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2013 6:57 PM in response to Nippur401

I have used that camera SDT750 with FCE.

Set the camera to shoot 1080i footage at the highest quality and you will have no problems.

1080p will not work.

Also format the card you use, in the camera before use.

Connect the camera to FCE with the camera supplied USB cable or use a card reader that is compatible with the card.

FCE>File>Log and Transfer.

Al

Nov 15, 2013 9:01 PM in response to Nippur401

Yes.

All 1080i footage will work OK.

It's just a "why not get the best from the camera" thing.

Lower data rates transfer to lower quality.

If the recording length of time is more important than picture quality then use a lower rate.

Using a 64gig SDXC card will give you a days shooting at 1080i HA highest quality interlaced setting.

Al

Nov 16, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Nippur401

Thanks Al. This info is very important. The question about lower quality comes from the way I should plan the rate

of recording (example) for a 7 hours footage and make a QTM of 60 minutes (a wedding for example) I don't know what's the rate in megapixels per second in the highest rate but if i go (let's say) 15 mbs for 7 hours I will end with a monster that need to be compressed and at the end I will loose a lot of quality. The idea (maybe I'm wrong) it's seet the capture rate in (x mbs) 1080i that match 25 GB at the end of the editing because it will end in a 25 GB blue ray..Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I asked about lower rate. If you have a better idea, it will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2013 2:49 PM in response to Nippur401

This COMPRESSION business is always a mine field when starting out. 🙂

Your footage of the AVCHD that the camera shoots and is recorded to it's card is already heavily compressed even at the highest interlaced setting.

More compression means more recording time. As mentioned always use the highest quality if you know the space on the card and the quality selected can do the job.

When you capture/transfer the footage to FCE it will be actually altered (Decomression) to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec).

This is so FCE can handle each frame in it's editing environment. This blows up the footage to around 40 gig an hour. CoDec is a short way of saying Compression/Decompression.

Maybe you can search the NET for info on this?

When you need to make a DVD/Bluray you export the FCE Timeline.

This is where another compression occurs to turn AIC into DVD language.

Thing is to stop worrying about actual file sizes of the Timeline in FCE as the DVD authoring app will compress the Timeline to whatever it is designed to work with.

eg. a two hour Timeline in FCE contains around 80 gig of info, after compression to iDVD a regular DVD (red ray) will hold the two hours even though the DVD is 4.7 gig.

I hope this makes things a little clearer!!!!

My process is to always shoot at the cameras highest quality that your editing system will support.

At high quality one can afford to loose a bit, but, if it's not there at the shooting stage it's never going to magically appear.

In short; data rate and file sizes are a compromise. The important thing is to have enough knowledge to know that what you start with will suffice for the end result.

Al

Nov 17, 2013 1:24 PM in response to Nippur401

Agree. For a very long time I always used CANON but this camera really called my atenttion. The fact of the 3 CMOS. the possibility to use PAL or NTSC, the 35mm wide, the view finder (crucial to work under the sun). The cards to download faster or just finish the job and deliver the card it really helpfull.. I used to work with CANON from mid 1990' to 2009 with CANON XL1 and XL2 (were I stopped editing or doing movies) and after 4 years I missed many trains, but seems to be the 750 it's a north start in digital video. Not the same but good enough for semipro or so..I will check the AC90. Another good point. Thanks again.

Panasonic HDC-SDT750 and Final Cut Express 4.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.