Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

partitioning drive to install Mavericks, but no Mac OS X installation disc

Am trying to install maverick on my macbook pro :

2.6 ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

But get the message that i need to partition my drive to GUID

am trying to follow the "Firmware updates for Intel-based Macs require a GUID partition scheme" help page : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2434

have so far backed up my system with time machine

but am now stuck on step 2 "Start from your Mac OS X installation disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility." as i dont have any installation discs

can anyone help please? i'm not even sure that my disc drive even works properly as have had problems with it in the past

is there any way around this, basically need to reformat my startup drive to GUID and restore my data it seems, is this possible without the discs?

any advice much appreciated! thank you kindly

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 2:23 PM

32 replies

Nov 15, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Tony T1

thank you for your help. would this work for step 12 as well?

how do i 'reinstall Mac OS X on the volume'?

sorry, have not much idea about this, just bit worried

10. Click the Partition button to erase and partition your disk.

11. When partitioning finishes, reinstall Mac OS X on the volume.

12. After reinstalling Mac OS X, download and install the firmware update for your computer. Afterwards, you can restore your backed-up data.

thank you!

Nov 15, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Tony T1

these are the steps i was going to follow, but worried i need the intalllation discs, not sure how to reinstall os after the partition. thanks :

1. Back up your important data. Partitioning a hard disk erases all data on the disk.
  2. Start from your Mac OS X installation disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
  3. Select your computer's hard disk.
  4. Click the Partition tab in the Disk Utility window. If the partition tab is not visible, make sure you've selected the disk (not volume) in the left side of the window. The disk usually contains the name of the drive vendor, not "Macintosh HD" or a name you have chosen.

Tip: In Disk Utility, volume names are indented on the left side of the window. Disk names are not indented.
  5. Choose the desired number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu. It's OK to choose "1 Partition" if you only want one.
  6. Click Options.

Note: On some Intel-based Macs, the Options button does not appear under the partition tab. Use the erase tab to erase the disk instead. This will change the partition scheme to the default "GUID Partition Scheme." You can then use the partition tab to create additional partitions if desired.

7. On the Partition Scheme sheet, choose "GUID Partition Table."
  8. Click OK.
  9. Make any other changes you wish in the Volume Information section, such as partition size or naming.
  10. Click the Partition button to erase and partition your disk.
  12. After reinstalling Mac OS X, download and install the firmware update for your computer. Afterwards, you can restore your backed-up data.

Nov 15, 2013 3:16 PM in response to leonnoel1981

Weird. That's a Window Partition.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1600

Anyway, you said you are backed up to Time Machine, so yes, follow 10,11 & 12:

10. Click the Partition button to partition your disk.

Make sure that [Options] has G.U.I.D. seleted

Quit Disk Utiltiy, then select Reinstall OS X from a Time Machine Drive

12. After reinstalling Mac OS X, download and install the firmware update for your computer.

Afterwards, you can restore your backed-up data.

--You have already restored from TM

Nov 15, 2013 3:32 PM in response to leonnoel1981

You're backed up to an external Time Machine Drive, correct?

1) Boot into Recovery (hold ⌘R on boot), then select Utilities->Disk Utility

2) Select 1 Partition, Make sure that [Options] has G.U.I.D. selected

3) Select Apply

4) Quit Disk Utility, then select Reinstall OS X from a Time Machine Drive

5) Install the Firmware Update

6) From ->App Store, Download OS X Mavericks

User uploaded file

partitioning drive to install Mavericks, but no Mac OS X installation disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.